You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrapping

Windows 10 : Working with Affinity Publisher and following the “text wrapping” tutorial I import an Affinity Photo file with a transparent background, and can see text through the transparent section, but when I wrap the section the text wraps round the whole file, not following the cut out shape, but as a square.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Peter C

Hi Chis

maybe you already solved the problem yourself as this thread is now two days old. I think in Publisher everything works fine. The Problem is with the imported Affinity Photo file. After some playing around with several solutions for transparencies in Affinity Photo I could find out wich ones would work for text wrap in Publisher. But first the possibilities that won't work

What doesn't work is:

1. New File > :(do not check "background transparent":( > create new file > draw a path or shape > rasterize it > export as PNG, GIF, TIFF or safe as .afphoto.
  2. Open file > :(use normal layer masks for cutting out objects:(  > :)save as PNG, GIF, TIFF (without layers) should work:) but :(not with an .afphoto file...:(

What works is (allways set background to transparent when creating a new file):

1. New File > create a shape or vector path > rasterize the layer with the object > export as PNG, GIF, TIFF or save as .afphoto
  2. New File > create a shape or vector path > export as PNG, GIF, TIFF or save as .afphoto
  3. Open File > use the "Pen Tool" to draw a vector path around the object you want to cut out > click "Mask" in the left corner of the context toolbar > safe as .afphoto
  4. Open  File > use any selection too > create layer mask > :)"Rasterize", "Merge Down" or "Merge Visible" layer(s):) > safe as afphoto

I think for you could work the 4th solution. Text wrap works with (vector) shapes and vector paths, vector masks, raster images with true transparencies like GIF, TIFF (without layers), PNG and .afphoto files where masked layers are rasterized. Any mask layer active in the saved .afphoto file will interfere with the text wrap styles "Tight", "Inside" and "Edge". I Hope this will help.

New Year's greetings

John

15 hours ago, Chris_K said:

You need to make sure your text wrap option is set to tight otherwise the text swill wrap to the bounds of the entire document instead of the objects within it

I'm not sure I quite understand that, Chris. But I wanted to mention another report of transparency causing text wrapping to fail, in case it's related:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.