You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm running 1.6.1 on Mac and my select / move tool is acting a little crazy. Normally when I click on nothing, nothing is selected. Today when I do that, it appears to select a line seemingly at random. I have noticed that the line it selects is typically to the left or right of the 'nothing' I've clicked, but far enough away to know something is acting up here.

Another symptom is that when that line is selected, clicking another object does not select it. No amount of clicking will work. I have to select with a drag instead.

This is really annoying to the point of disabling. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

When you click on 'nothing' & something is selected, check the Layers panel to see if it is a Group layer. If it is, it means you have selected the group instead of one of its child layers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi, psheld,

?? I've never come across something like that. If, when the line is selected, what happens if you shift to the node tool and select all. Is there an orphan dot, or infinitesimal line somewhere? If the line is hidden, does it still somehow become selected. Kinda grasping at straws here.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@gdenby, thanks for your question.

When the line is selected (per the animated gif above), and I then select the node tool and Select All, the line that's selected simply has solid blue squares at each end, as expected. No orphan dots. Nothing else appears (or disappears).

But now I can see how some of my lines got broken into two (per my 2nd comment in this thread). With the line selected, clicking anywhere on the canvas to the left or right of the line (and I mean far away) inserts a node on the line.

• Staff

Hi @psheld
My apologies for the delay. I haven't checked the file yet. Will do it right now.

[EDIT] Does this file/was originally created in another software and imported into affinity or were some of its elements copy/pasted from another program or was it created from scratch in Affinity Designer? If so, what was the original program where the data come from - Autocad, other?

I've passed your file to the dev team to be looked at. Something is wrong with object detection/selection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi @MEB, fortunately, I haven't had to use Designer since my last comment here. Now I do.

You noted back in January that "Something is wrong with object detection/selection." I agree! What is it?

Some of my files work. Some don't, like the one I provided. Selecting the elements and pasting to a brand new doc doesn't fix it.

So looking forward to learning what your dev team concluded. ??

Cheers.