You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trialing Affinity Photo, and so far it is looking good.  (Don't want the Adobe rental model if I can help it).

However - the tools section is currently driving me mad.

If I inadvertently hit the brush tool more than once, it cycles through the other brush options.  Likewise with other multiple-option tools.

I can't find a way of turning this auto toggling off, (like I can in preferences with Photoshop).  And being someone who uses shortcuts extensively and has the tools bar on a second screen (as with many of the other panels), you can imagine the frustration this causes.

I've searched on Google and find no solution - but I do find a lot of requests one the last couple of years.  I can't believe there isn't a way to switch off auto toggling of the tools... that would be crazy.

So am I missing something, or is it off to Adobe, because this would be impossible to live with?  (Hope there is a way because I'm quite liking Affinity).

Thanks

You can change the shortcuts, such that individual tools have their own rather than sharing with another tool. That way you will know exactly which tool the shortcut belongs to.

However, you will still need to be aware of what tool you are currently using. If you are already using a tool, and you press its shortcut again, you will switch to the previous tool you were using.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That seems to work very well.

It's a bit time consuming and you'd think Affinity would have sorted this by now - but worth a happy 15 mins of my time to set this up.

Affinity may be back in the running... yey...!

Oodles of thanks.  I'd have never worked that out on my own.

Serif may not think there's anything to be sorted :)

It's working as they think it should be.

However, there have been requests for an option to prevent switching to the previous tool if you press a shortcut twice. They may consider that some day, but I doubt they will provide a version where every tool has a separate shortcut by default.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes this sorts me.  And it does seem that Serif is digging its heals in over this as requests see to date back for years.

Photoshop just has a global "switch off" option for toggling and shortcuts only apply to each little box in the tools.  So a shortcut would apply to either the paint pot or the gradient tool - whichever was appearing in the tools box at the time - but not to both.

For me, I use the shortcuts for single tool options and although it would be nice to have a shortcut for the current tool displayed, there are as many advantages to having just the one tool type having a shortcut as well.

So I'm happy.

Now to get the mask options to work like I want...  Fun stuff this, learning a new interface...!  :D