You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop workflow to affinity ( newbie question)

Hi guys. Might be premature with this question but bear with me.

I went ahead and bought affinity as I'm getting back into photo/image editing and really like the look of affinity. I wasn't going to start paying those other guys every month just to edit images. 

Anyway, One thing I'm having a hard time with is...….

Layout. Photoshop had a menu item where ALL of the editing tools where. I have had a look around affinity and notice most of the same options are actually available as layer adjustments. Im taking it this is not customisable to get all of these into the top menu bar itself so I can free up the amount of tools etc on the RHS? In photoshop the RHS was used primarily for layers and not where all my tools or options are.

Thanks for any help on this guys.

There are many different ways you can configure the Affinity app workspace, but there are relatively few you can add to the main toolbar. You did not mention which Affinity app you are using (maybe Affinity Photo since you are comparing it to Photoshop?) or which platform (Mac or Windows) you use, but the basic procedure for customizing that toolbar is the same -- you can use the View menu "Customize Toolbar..." item to see the choices, & drag & drop or rearrange them however you want.

Other things you can customize are whether Studio panels & the Tools panel are docked or floating, if or how Studio panels are organized in tab groups, & the number of items on the Tools panel & how many columns they are displayed in.

A major difference between Affinity & Adobe apps is Affinity's Personas, which are sort of task-oriented workspaces. Each of them can be configured differently; the idea being to reduce clutter so only the tools & panels needed for that kind of task need to be displayed in the workspace.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

44 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There are many different ways you can configure the Affinity app workspace, but there are relatively few you can add to the main toolbar. You did not mention which Affinity app you are using (maybe Affinity Photo since you are comparing it to Photoshop?) or which platform (Mac or Windows) you use, but the basic procedure for customizing that toolbar is the same -- you can use the View menu "Customize Toolbar..." item to see the choices, & drag & drop or rearrange them however you want.

Other things you can customize are whether Studio panels & the Tools panel are docked or floating, if or how Studio panels are organized in tab groups, & the number of items on the Tools panel & how many columns they are displayed in.

A major difference between Affinity & Adobe apps is Affinity's Personas, which are sort of task-oriented workspaces. Each of them can be configured differently; the idea being to reduce clutter so only the tools & panels needed for that kind of task need to be displayed in the workspace.

Thanks for the reply. As I was comparing to photoshop and mentioned I was getting back into photo/image editing I took it for granted people would know I was referring to affinity photo.I'm also curious what difference there is between windows and mac versions.

Ok so I'm not missing anything regarding the top menu. I'm sure it is something I will be able to adapt to. Its just a strange environment when used to another program. Hopefully having separate sections will make more sense with use. 

What I do like about this desktop edition is its actual speed at tasks compared to how I thought it would be. I might just buy the book to brush up on the different techniques needed to create my usual photoshop editing.