You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2019 Affinity Photo wish list

I really want and need a smarter brush -- just an adjustable round one similar to my lr5 would do me.
I miss the brush size adjuster on the mouse wheel like Lr5/on1 and a few others -- seems so awkward reaching over to the [ ] keys all the time 
There other little things thought  about only when using the program; however those two are the more important for my workf ---- ummm playflow lol  

So what is on your Affinity photo wishlist ? 

Edit: a bloke should add a photo for interest. Even if only partly edited it is my first pic (second click though) for 2019 

P1200502  -1.jpg

The good news is that brush size adjustment already exists in Affinity Photo. The bad news is that the keybind for it is ctrl+alt and L click+R click on your mouse. You can't change it either in your keybinds, which makes it pretty awkward to use unless you are able to make a macro that only needs one button to press. I hope the developers make the feature more user friendly with a simpler macro and/or allow people to actually change the keybind altogether.

• 5 months later...

First of all, I do love Photo and use it for 99% of image editing. So, my wish list is to eliminate that last 1%:

1. If I've a copied image on the clipboard and create a new image in Photo, I'd like the created image to be sized to match the copied image - I often copy an image from the internet and need to edit it, but have to crop or increase the "new" image size to make it fit.
  2. I'd like to be able to set the image size without changing the number of pixels. I've tried to use Photo to plan our sitting room furniture, with PS I could set the image size to be the same as the actual room - obviously, the PPI is pretty low(!), but it makes measuring furniture and fitting it on to the plan harder if I'm having to do scaling calculations.
  3. The shadow/highlight tool doesn't seem to do as good as job as PS in lifting the shadows in backlit images.
  4. Finally(!), I'd love Photo to be able to import from a scanner; I understand Windows makes this harder than it should be, but other programs do support it.

1 hour ago, apepper said:

1. If I've a copied image on the clipboard and create a new image in Photo, I'd like the created image to be sized to match the copied image - I often copy an image from the internet and need to edit it, but have to crop or increase the "new" image size to make it fit.

Try using File > New from Clipboard.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 5 months later...

I've been using Photo for around a year now - previously used PS CS6. I still occasionally have to fire up PS and its for three things:

Automatic lens correction for non-raw images. If I've taken an image with a wide angle lens and want to correct for the lens, PS can do it, AP can't - I'd really like AP to be able to correct the image - particularly lens distortion - for JPEGs.

Working on "full size" plans. Occasionally, I'll have things like room plans where I want to see where I can put furniture. With PS, I can make the image 3500mm x 4000mm (say) at a DPI of 2. So when I use the ruler tool it gives me the actual length of something and I can add rectangles which are the actual size of the piece of furniture. AFAIAA, AP only supports a limited range of preset DPI setting and if I try and put 3000mm as an image width, it converts it to pixels - in a related feature request, the rulers only seem to be in pixels. For the "real size plans" use, rulers in inches/mm or cm would be very useful.

Using the scanner. I understand this difficult in Windows, but OTOH, PS does do it - I can read an image straight into PS from the scanner. 

As requested; picture taken yesterday and processed through AP - one of around 200 processed in an hour.

_DSC8224.jpg

On 6/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, apepper said:

I'd love Photo to be able to import from a scanner

2 hours ago, apepper said:

Using the scanner. I understand this difficult in Windows, but OTOH, PS does do it - I can read an image straight into PS from the scanner. 

It already does in the Mac version.  This is a limitation of the Windows version and from past discussion on this subject this is not likely to change quickly.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, apepper said:

The shadow/highlight tool doesn't seem to do as good as job as PS in lifting the shadows in backlit images.

You can achieve better results using the curves adjustment in the Affinity products.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:01 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

The good news is that brush size adjustment already exists in Affinity Photo. The bad news is that the keybind for it is ctrl+alt and L click+R click on your mouse. You can't change it either in your keybinds, which makes it pretty awkward to use unless you are able to make a macro that only needs one button to press. I hope the developers make the feature more user friendly with a simpler macro and/or allow people to actually change the keybind altogether.

THANK YOU I was looking for this feature because I use it so frequently in Photoshop. In photoshop, you just hold Alt+RMB. Right now, that does absolutely nothing in Affinity Photo. Changing the shortcut to match Photoshop would be so much more user friendly, and compatible if one uses both software still.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:44 PM, apepper said:

AP can't - I'd really like AP to be able to correct the image - particularly lens distortion - for JPEGs.

You can select Develop persona again in AP and access distortion correction there. It is actually no different from accessing Lens distortion filter in PS.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:44 PM, apepper said:

As requested; picture taken yesterday and processed through AP - one of around 200 processed in an hour.

AP really not suitable for processing large amounts of raw photos... LR or C1 would be much faster.

Coming in as more of a painter than a photographer, I have a slightly different series of features I'd like in the program.

First, and probably most importantly, is the ability to have instantaneous response from the color picker rather than having to click and drag to select a color
Second, is being able to clip layers (or even groups) to a group
Third is to be able to bind macros to hotkeys
Fourth is to be able to transform respective to an arbitrary point, rather than just the centre of the selection or its edges/corners

All of these are features I use frequently in Photoshop, and are the main things preventing me from completely jumping ship

6 minutes ago, DoubleAACE said:

First, and probably most importantly, is the ability to have instantaneous response from the color picker rather than having to click and drag to select a color

There is no need to drag the Color Picker Tool; a simple click will work. Dragging is only required when using the eyedropper from the Color panel. Two different functions, with different modes of operation.

9 minutes ago, DoubleAACE said:

Fourth is to be able to transform respective to an arbitrary point, rather than just the centre of the selection or its edges/corners

That can be done, if you transform using the Move Tool. Just Enable Transform Origin on the Move Tool's Context Toolbar. It cannot be done (as far as I know) using the Transform panel, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

1. EVERYTHING must have a keyboard shortcut.

2. Tools need to remember what was used last (the crop for example MUST maintain your previously entered crop setting).

3. It's absolutely critical the pen tool has a precision cursor/cross-hair option (seriously?).

4. Windows must expand automatically to make resizing handles evident when pasting over-sized content into a file.

5. Gradient tools, work on them.

6. The ability to migrate changes to multiple RAW files (with or without a macros)

7. The ability to open 20+ RAW files at a time

8. The check box to keep the start pop-over window from appearing every time you open Photo (or any of your other apps) should actually work.

There are a lot more on my list, but let's work on these first.

4 hours ago, Chosen Idea said:

Windows must expand automatically to make resizing handles evident when pasting over-sized content into a file.

I don't think I agree with this one at all.

Gradient tools, work on them.

And do what specifically?

6. The ability to migrate changes to multiple RAW files (with or without a macros)

7. The ability to open 20+ RAW files at a time

This is the wrong type of application for these behaviors.  You are asking for DAM-like software, and that doesn't exist in the Affinity lineup yet.  Serif has indicated they are planning one, but it may be a while until we have any real details on what it will offer.  In the meantime consider software such as Capture One, DXO PhotoLab, On1 Photo RAW, etc.  Those are DAM/RAW processing applications.  Affinity Photo is an editor, optimized for working on one image at a time when you need to focus in on it.  Different tools entirely.

The check box to keep the start pop-over window from appearing every time you open Photo (or any of your other apps) should actually work.

If this doesn't work for you, make sure there is a thread reporting this in the bug section for your platform.  It does work for me (Mac).