You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

use of memory and slowing down with brushes

Hi, I have been using v1.7.0.106 and found that is in general  much faster with a couople of problems that I found.

First the program uses more ram memory that the v 1.6. Much more as shown buy my memory application Memory Clean 2. With the previous version and various programs open I always needed less than 16 GB but 1.7 with  no open applications  easily uses 20 and even more than 25 for the same size photo.

Furthermore, using the smudge AF slows down to a crawl to a point in which every stroke elicits the colored spinning wheel. This never happened with v1.6. 

Regards.

As I said I never used that amount of memory with v 1.6 so I think that there could be some memory management problem. Also the program slows down terribly at every stroke using the brushes on smudge mode and I wonder if the two problems are correlated.

Did you activate metall  in the preferences? Do it! For me all kind of "brushing" and most filters got a SIGNIFICANT efficiency boost. Even brushes with very small repetation works now much faster and responsibale. 

I do not care about the RAM, i see the much better performance in general and i´m happy with that.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• Staff

You shouldn't generally be too concerned about RAM/CPU usage with Affinity as we will always try and use whatever is available. We have on occasion seen the app holding onto the RAM but it should release it once something else needs it.

What we do care about is the fact you're seeing a spinning pinwheel from just smudging. I've just tried it on a 1200 dpi image with a smudge brush size of 500 px and 1000 px and didn't really encounter any issues. 

What type/size document are you brushing on? Does it happen on any image or just bigger ones? Has it ever crashed as a result of this?

I  have not used v 1.7 too many times and not kept tack of the problem so I cannot say for sure but what I can say is that the images I was working on were more than 700MB and I was using paint brushes on smudge mode. I can also say that the problem happened in images that had a noise filter and a displace filter added to it already. I will try to reproduce the problem and post again. In a similar situation v1.6 showed same problems  but less memory use and it froze and I had to use the "force quit" option. I always report the problem to apple.

I reproduced the problem on the image I attached as a hard copy when thespinning  wheel appeared. I can upload the file if you want.

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 8.39.57 PM.png

Another performance-killer is the "show brush preview" activation in the preferences/GUI. With a tablet and activation and a texture vbrush with random changes it needs much power, as soon the pen is in the "active" area (without real stroking). Deactivating the Brush-preview saves a lot of CPU! Do a test with the activity monitor its huge difference. Without only a relly stroke needs CPU, but if on the CPU is bussy the whole time the pen is near the tablet!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

usually the AP guy tells its address in drop box to use. This is what happenbed in a couple of occasion with me. I am waiting for that if interested. I do not want to share my files with everybody

9 hours ago, srg said:

usually the AP guy tells its address in drop box to use. This is what happenbed in a couple of occasion with me. I am waiting for that if interested. I do not want to share my files with everybody

But you are posting in a pubic forum and you want „everybody“ to help? If you don‘t want us to support, why not using a personal message? :)

By the way: Should be quite easy to unpersonalise the file (blur, distort, change colors, orsimply using a different image).

On 1/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, Chris B said:

You shouldn't generally be too concerned about RAM/CPU usage with Affinity as we will always try and use whatever is available. We have on occasion seen the app holding onto the RAM but it should release it once something else needs it.

RAM usage is one thing but with the current beta I've seen some crazy disk usage as well - just like the OP I have been using large smudge brudges (including Daub's) a fair bit and with a single image of around 3000 x 3000 pixels / 8 bit and no more than 5 - 10 layers my machine hits RAM usage up to the app's maximum allowance (32 gigs in my case) and takes around that amount of disk space too. The latter is building up slowly during the session and only released as soon as I close the program.

Is there a new way to deal with temp files in the beta? I've copied my preferences across from 1.6 to 1.7 if that's any help. Metal has been activated. I've compared with 1.6 side by side and it has not taken up any disk space during the session.

uploaded the file. Hope it will arrive since it told me first that there was an error then I tried to see work on the file to see if the spinning wheel persisted (you will see a lot of brush strokes...) and it did. So I saved and tried to uopload againg and in no time I got the message that it was uoploaded. 

Could you let me know if you got the problem too? I think there should be attached in the file the history.

File uploaded zipped.

I tried again to use the dodge and it took a lot of fast brushing but finally spinning wheel came and computer practically slowed to a crawl. Usually it takes much leswss strokes

In the screen shiot you can see the brushes I did when the soinning wheel appeared.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 1.28.36 PM.png

Point is, if I disable the filter etc, I cannot see the effect of the brush on the photo and this makes no sense. I can also say that at times I have the same problems with much leaner files. 

Also in another  (confused) post, I pointed out that the dodge tool also have problems, mainly it suddenly stops working.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.