You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW processing three different results

Hi I'm new here being three days into my 10 days trial.  Very impressed so far.  I'm managing to resolve most issues but I'd appreciate some advice on this.

I've run a batch job to develop a number of RAW files to jpgs with all settings as per default.  My output files are much darker/underexposed than the RAW original to an unacceptable level.

I then developed the raw files individually with all default settings and they were again underexposed compared to the RAW originals although only slightly and arguably acceptable according to taste.

I would have expected my developed jpgs to look similar in both cases and probably very close to the RAW original as displayed by Affinity.

Can someone advise on what's going on here.  Thanks

I think I may know the answer to my own issue.  I have a Panasonic G9 and according to the camera compatibility lists it is not compatible although I believe it will be in 1.7.  I had assumed because it opened my RAW/RW2 files it was compatible but I am now assuming that opening files is not a guarantee of compatibility.  I suppose that my only option now is to wait until 1.7 is live before re-testing and hopefully purchasing, does anybody have any clues when that may be.

• Staff

Hi trevorc,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently the RAW developer in batch mode doesn't apply any automated corrections (noise reduction, lens correction etc) and the default tone curve doesn't help either leading to darkened images. This is something we hope to improve in upcoming versions. The best way to deal with this is to develop the RAW individually and use the batch job for additional corrections in the (already) developed images.

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately that really rules it out for me despite being very impressed with the trial.  I want to move on from PS Elements because a new camera means a new version purchase in order to satisfy my RAW processing needs.  I shoot everything in RAW, process my favourite shots individually but batch process the remainder of my keepers and Affinity clearly isn't going to allow me to do that.  I'll look out for the time when the RAW batch processing issues are resolved.