You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very Poor Contrast on Startup Assistant

Show this page on startup text is invisible for me. I can only read it by opening the screenshot in IrfanView and adjusting the Gamma

The red text for 20% discount is also hard to read. I use the light interface, and I am colour-blind.

Also, the About box is so tiny and the contrast so poor that the EULA text is impossible to read.

Accessibility is important. 

Invisible Text.png

About Affinity Publisher.png

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

12 hours ago, fde101 said:

Oh, I am with you on the minute size of that EULA text though.  WAY too small.

The EULA text is not on the splash screen. The word EULA is a link to the actual EULA text, at a reasonable size. What is on the splash screen at an unreadable size is some Pantone information, which is unreadable partly due to its size and contrast, and partly because it's overlaid by the EULA and Third Party License links.

Clearly there is work to be done :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The EULA text is not on the splash screen. The word EULA is a link to the actual EULA text, at a reasonable size. What is on the splash screen at an unreadable size is some Pantone information, which is unreadable partly due to its size and contrast, and partly because it's overlaid by the EULA and Third Party License links.

Clearly there is work to be done :)

Oh, ok. Good that you tell me. :221_see_no_evil:

Since I can't read what standing there it just could be lorem ipsum. :D

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

It would be easier to read without the strikethrough, but it's not bad once you select the text so it has a darker background :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Accessibility is important.

Although it doesn't affect me personally, I do agree with Pesala that accessibility for all is important and should be taken into consideration sooner rather than later.

I must also add that sometimes it's quite difficult to tell which option is selected in context toolbars etc. and seems somewhat inconsistant.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I must also add that sometimes it's quite difficult to tell which option is selected in context toolbars etc. and seems somewhat inconsistant.

It’s particularly bad in the Glyph Browser in ‘Light UI’ mode.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 5:27 PM, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Also, the About box is so tiny and the contrast so poor that the EULA text is impossible to read.

I had not seen this thread before someone posted to it recently and it came to the top.

Upon checking I realized that I had not previously noticed that there was anything about EULA on that panel!

Even now, turning up the brightness I notice that there is EULA and Third party licenses and then a lot of stuff that might be text that I simply cannot make out what it is supposed to be.

Could the About panel be about ten to twenty times larger in area please and with a different colour for the lettering?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.