You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why can't I make a straight line w/ the clone brush?

On December 6, Gabriel stated the "straight line" problem with the clone tool has already been fixed in the 1.7 Beta.  

I have been using 1.7 Beta for a couple of weeks and as far as I can determine ,  there is still "straight line" problem.  Sometimes it works and other times it does not respond or the line goes off on a crazy diagonal.

This is the beta version that I am using: 

I hope you guys are able to get it fixed before the final release.

44 minutes ago, Big_Stan said:

On December 6, Gabriel stated the "straight line" problem with the clone tool has already been fixed in the 1.7 Beta.  

Do you have a link to whatever specific post that was stated in? I can't find anything about that, at least in the Mac beta build topics.

BTW, questions & comments about the betas probably should be posted in some relevant beta forum subcategory.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Big_Stan

[Fixed] Straight line clone brush does not seem tone working

By Big_Stan,  December 6 in Resolved (subforum for when Bugs get resolved) 

Big_Stan

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • Big_Stan
  • Members
  • 100 posts

I am trying to clone a straight line, but it does not seem to be working any longer. After selecting the source point (Option + click), I clicked once at the start point, then shift clicked at the end point.

GabrielM

• Dedicated User
  •  
  • GabrielM
  • Moderators
  • staff.png.c356aec36362b0392a2d932c9ff350
  • 2,174 posts

Hi @Big_Stan,

We are aware of this bug and it has already been fixed in the Beta version: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks. I think I found the reference (in this topic, correct?) ... but at least for me in the current 1.0.7.106 version of Affinity Photo for Macs, it does seem to be working correctly except for one thing: on the first shift-click after setting the source point, there is a small gap at the beginning of the straight line of the clone brush path where the clone source is not applied.

But it is always a straight line & never goes off at a different angle.

Does that sound like the same thing you get or something different?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

i am on 10.14.1 and for me it is erratic,

my symptoms are:

some times it works fine

some times the shift/click to initiate the clone works and other times it doesn't

some times it goes off on a diagonal or horizontal

and to add  to problems, yesterday the beta locked up my mac and I had to manually shut down and restart in order to get my mac to respond.  pressing "esc" would not make it happen.

45 minutes ago, Big_Stan said:

some times the shift/click to initiate the clone works and other times it doesn't

Maybe I have misunderstood what you mean, but for this to work, click once to initiate the start of the straight line clone & then shift-click to finish it. If you shift-click without first doing the regular click to set the starting point, it won't work.

Affinity Photo 

Thank you for your offer to help.  I really appreciate it.

WRT shift/click, I have been using AP since it first arrived on the AP store (about 3 years ago). I only noticed the problems with the clone brush since the release of 1.6.7, before 1.6.7 I never had a problem with using the clone brush to achieve a straight line.  

Can you record what you are doing/seeing?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.