You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where did you inform us …

… about “Affinity Publisher Available 2018” or about “Affinity Publisher Available 2018” here?

Would be great to get something like real-time similar search result even if you create a new topic because it is not easy to find information here.

I think that they emailed everyone who has signed up to receive email marketing info about the Affinity product line. That was probably the main method  of letting everyone know.

They also created a new section of the forums specifically for the Publisher beta.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Affinity Publisher beta is currently also mentioned on one of the Welcome screen panels in both Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo; & has been featured on the new https://affinityspotlight.com web site.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What launch do you mean?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

53 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What launch do you mean?

Whom do you mean?

Again: about “Affinity Publisher Available 2018 or about “Affinity Publisher Available 2018

2 hours ago, Oval said:

Whom do you mean?

What I mean is when I Google the phrase "Affinity Publisher Available 2018" I do not get any hits that say that from any official Affinity source but many that say the beta will be, like this one from December of 2017. So can you provide a link to any source that says the retail version will be released in 2018?

Maybe I just missed one that does, but there are dozens about the progress of the beta, as well as all the references mentioned in the earlier posts in this topic.

Affinity Photo 

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

The Affinity Publisher beta is currently also mentioned on one of the Welcome screen panels in both Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo; & has been featured on the new https://affinityspotlight.com web site.

Not to mention information about the beta being plastered all over the www.serif.com or www.affinity.serif.com websites ;)

4 hours ago, Oval said:

They changed the launch some weeks ago without informing us here. :-( Right or wrong?

Wrong.

There has been talk about Publisher for years but no firm launch date. I’m sure someone will probably mention it when the time comes ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

5 hours ago, Oval said:

They changed the launch some weeks ago without informing us here. :-( Right or wrong?

They sent an email newsletter out on the 26th December 2018 saying...

"Affinity Publisher update

The beta of Affinity Publisher is coming on very nicely, with over 150,000 designers now taking part. We’re listening to all the feedback we are getting with thousands of fixes and improvements already made. We were originally planning to launch Publisher before the end of this year, but we have decided to take a little more time over it with the hope we can get a few more of the features you are asking for in for our initial launch."

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I can't imagine they are very keen on the idea of launching the retail version of Affinity Publisher until the Vector & Photo Personas work, which apparently is contingent on the release of the 1.7 version updates for Designer & Photo. That in turn means they will need to update the iPad apps ASAP after that, since version 1.7 files are not compatible with version 1.6 ones applications.

Edited by R C-R
Edited for clarity

Affinity Photo 

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I can't imagine they are very keen on the idea of launching the retail version of Affinity Publisher until the Vector & Photo Personas work, which apparently is contingent on the release of the 1.7 version updates for Designer & Photo. That in turn means they will need to update the iPad apps ASAP after that, since version 1.7 files are not compatible with version 1.6 ones.

So what happens if every time affinity release a 1.x update the files created in the previous 1.x update cannot be opened, that seems like a crazy scenario to have.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

So what happens if every time affinity release a 1.x update the files created in the previous 1.x update cannot be opened, that seems like a crazy scenario to have.

That doesn't happen. 1.7 can open 1.6 files or 1.5 or ....

However, 1.6 cannot open 1.7 files, just as 1.5 couldn't open 1.6 files.

And since the iPad and desktop applications are supposed to be compatible, iPad users who also use the desktop app probably won't want to upgrade to 1.7 on the desktop until Serif releases 1.7 for the iPad, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Like Walt said (& I hope my edit to my previous post makes a bit clearer), it is the 1.6 versions of the apps that can't open 1.7 version files.

As it is now, the Affinity Publisher beta can open any 1.6 format files created in any version of Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer (including the iPad ones), but there is only very limited support in the 1.7 Designer & Photo desktop betas for working on files created in the Publisher beta.

That support, such as it is, is provided through the "Edit in Designer..."  & "Edit in Photo..." items in Publisher's File menu. Choosing one of them will open an afpub file in the 1.7 Designer or Photo beta app if installed, but the only thing readily accessible in the Designer or Photo beta app is the current Publisher page spread.

The good news is editing that page in the Designer or Photo beta & saving it from that app preserves the edit & everything else in the .afpub file, but it is obvious that there is a lot of work yet to be done before we will be able to work as seamlessly in any Affinity app on any device as we can now with the 1.6 versions.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, Oval said:

2018.jpg.36b727d3dd0d5bc583e8a3c2c3798968.jpg

A few weeks ago Serif changed this to “Affinity Publisher Available 2019” without to inform us …

But they have just informed you!

John1

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Here:

7 hours ago, Oval said:

2018.jpg.36b727d3dd0d5bc583e8a3c2c3798968.jpg-

Given that  this now says 2019 instead of 2018, then what has it become other than the information that you deny having received?

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The question is about here. So where did you find the information here, please? Serif again did not what they announced. And this time we were really disappointed because there were no excuse, nothing after waiting for it since 2015 when the launch should have been.

Where specifically do you mean when you say "here"? In this, the Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows) forum, some other forum on the forum.affinity,serif.com web site, somewhere on the affinity.serif.com/ web site, or what?

Affinity Photo 

Searching would rely on good post titles, tags and detailing of the question. Vague questions get vague replies or invariably more questions from the post reader to try and hone in on the actual problem/issue, in a lot of posts all three of those important information streams do not exist and I have lost count of the the people I have asked to change their post title.

Going over your perceived issue will not change the past but why not be proactive and put a request in to have a status page - if one does not already exist and subscribe to the mailing list to get the notifications you want. Nit-picking will get you nowhere and when you start going in circles its time to change your approach. 

You are a valued member of this forum and we all appreciate what you give so let me ask you a question...

"What would it take to solve this dilemma?"

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Oval,

As is so often the case you are technically correct. It was not, as you say, explicitly said on the forums or elsewhere that we were not launching in 2018. However, if you follow the forums (which I think you do) you will see that many Affinity Publisher beta testers are telling us that it is not yet ready to be sold with it's current functionality. For example we are modifying master page object functionality to better meet customer expectations and our implementation of "linked" (monitored)  images is not meeting expectations either. So if we had launched with the current offering we would have been rightly criticised for not listening. So better that the free public beta continues for a bit longer while some of these extra changes are made than we launch now and are reviewed and found wanting for creating longer documents

Also our file interchangeability means that Affinity Publisher (1.7) really cannot be launched until Affinity Designer 1.7 and Affinity Photo 1.7 are the current release, so it is dependent on those timelines also.

We have been using our flagship information site affinityspotlight.com to keep people abreast of changes and so if you want to know where we would most likely make any announcements then just monitor that.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Also our file interchangeability means that Affinity Publisher (1.7) really cannot be launched until Affinity Designer 1.7 and Affinity Photo 1.7 are the current release, so it is dependent on those timelines also.

Are there any hints you can give us about how this will work with respect to the two iPad apps? I remember all too well when one of the Mac desktop apps was updated from 1.5 to 1.6 before the other one was ready for that & the confusion it caused, so I hope there is a plan to avoid a similar issue with desktop & iPad file interchangeability.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
47 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Are there any hints you can give us about how this will work with respect to the two iPad apps? I remember all too well when one of the Mac desktop apps was updated from 1.5 to 1.6 before the other one was ready for that & the confusion it caused, so I hope there is a plan to avoid a similar issue with desktop & iPad file interchangeability.

For iPad and desktop interchange when the 1.7 desktop version is released (which is likely before the iPad version) you will need to keep your desktop temporarily on 1.6.x until the iPad version is updated to 1.7  This can be achieved by making a copy of the Affinity Photo 1.6.x or Affinity Designer 1.6.x application folder before any automatic update takes place (so now would be good) . Then continue to use the 1.6 version for any files that are to be used on both desktop and iPad. Alternatively start your work on iPad (1.6.x) and complete it on desktop (1.7.0), but going back to 1.6.x from 1.7.y is not possible, sorry.

We will try to leave this situation live for a short a time as possible.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

This can be achieved by making a copy of the Affinity Photo 1.6.x or Affinity Designer 1.6.x application folder before any automatic update takes place (so now would be good) .

What about the per user support files that contain user preferences, brushes, & all the other similar stuff (like on Macs what is saved in the ~/Library/Containers folder)? In the past, there have been separate folders for the Designer & Photo retail & beta versions so they are independent of each other, but if the retail 1.6 & 1.7 versions use the same folder that won't be true. So the saved application state, autosave, shortcuts, & a bunch of other per user stuff would be shared by both apps.

If the automatic update occurs, even if it is used only once, won't that cause issues with the 1.6 version because some of that stuff will be overwritten?

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
2 hours ago, R C-R said:

If the automatic update occurs, even if it is used only once, won't that cause issues with the 1.6 version because some of that stuff will be overwritten?

Well perhaps, but so far I am not aware of any compatibility issues like those (yet) unless you save your own symbols.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd