You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think that technically, cropping has to be square but you can use a shape to clip an image.

E7BA7570-1396-4646-A6C5-5E08C3A6E1FD.jpeg.380993e5df454433280248690759f988.jpeg

Draw an ellipse shape then drag the image to the shape nesting (or clipping) position, which is at the bottom of the layer, but not completely below it. There will be a blue highlighter at the bottom of the layer when it’s in the right position.

If you want the background to be transparent, you will need to export the image as a PNG or a TIFF as JPEGs can not have a transparent background, so they will be white.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

I think that technically, cropping has to be square but you can use a shape to clip an image.

Cropping with the Crop Tool is square, but you can crop to (i.e. mask with) any shape by dragging the shape layer in the Layers panel and dropping it onto the thumbnail of the image that you wish to crop. The difference with clipping to a shape is that the outlying parts of the shape remain visible.

post-8358-0-96306100-1480769318_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...