DieterW

File closes unsaved after file access lost - Critical Flaw

I am working directly on the network. When PC goes to sleep with a file opened, then after wake up, the file cannot be saved anymore. An error appears that the file access was lost and the document has to be closed now, resulting in loss of all work since last save before sleep. This is unacceptable and the only program I know of not handling this correctly. When the file path gets lost for any reason (network lost, USB drive disconnected, etc) the resolution cannot be to close the document with all changes unsaved!

The normal and usual behavior is to provide the "Save as..." dialog to give the user the chance to save the current state elsewhere.

This is the minimum requirement. Actually I would expect that Affinity can properly handle the particular situation I described above, ie not throwing up an error after wake up at all.

Facts: Windows 10 (latest build), Affinity Designer (I do not have Photo; latest build)

Thanks for the answer, but that thread is another topic (collaberative) and I am not happy with the usual solutions "then don't use it or do it". The point is, it shouldn't be the concern of the user to avoid such things. I work for more than a decade from network with all programs I use (including Adobe products, big files over 100 MB). Such a situation only occurred to me so far, if there was a real problem with the network (and with faulty network discovery of Win10). But I cannot see any apparent reason here. Network and file access to the network storage location are available. The only reason is that the PC went to sleep. Such a problem did not occur to me in all this time. So I have to assume other programs can handle this far better.

However, the real point is: it does not matter why the file access was lost (being it network, detachable storage, etc) or why the file may have been corrupted, the program must not simply close the open file, but offer me the opportunity to save it elsewhere. So, the network part of the this topic is a minor one (that is why it is not mentioned in the title).

For performance reasons(?) Affinity programs do not load the entire file into memory when you open it.  Hence in order to provide a Save as option they need to have access to the original stored file to do this.

If this file was on a networked drive (etc) which is no longer available then that is why the Save as cannot work.

But if the networked drive (etc) was only momentarily offline and has recovered then Affinity should be able to provide some way to save the file rather than just closing it.

Affinity's handling of these "networked" drive situations is not right and hopefully something they intend to rectify/improve in the future.

Thanks for the explanation. Just still do not understand the error because after wake up the not loaded portion on the network is available again, so maybe the program should try several times or give a second option to "Retry" (so giving one the chance to fix the problem) instead of "OK" only. As the network file is definitely not corrupt, as I can open it again, the program should be able to recover the file.

Performance should be a concern of the user. If it is too slow on the network I can still work locally, but with a very good network there are no performance issues. I know that for sure.

All I can say is that other programs handle this better, so there must be a way to do so.

And if there is no solution to it, why not copying the file to local file system automatically if I open a file on the network. The auto-save file is also stored locally. After closing, AD copies the file to the network and deletes it locally. Maybe this should be a feature to enable or not.

Besides the whole recovery situation is cumbersome too. At least after you open the program again it gives to the chance to open a recovery version, so not all is lost, just the things since the last auto-save. But it opens it in read-only mode (I guess because original file is locked by Windows). You cannot save the file to its original location (read-only). So you have to save it under a different name. Delete the original file, which cannot be done as it is locked by Windows and you have to log-off and log-on again into Windows (or restart). Then save it again under its original file name and then delete the temporary file. I know that this is a very annoying "feature" of Windows and it makes me crazy sometimes, but again, other programs do not have such issues.

Then I am sorry for the redundancy. I could not find the issue as clearly addressed as I felt necessary, and was not aware that it is a known issue already.

Thanks for the support.

And just to balance out the negative tone of the thread a bit: Coming from Illustrator it happened several times now that when I saw how a function is solved in AD, I almost hugged the monitor out of exaltation. Just mentioning the snapping function... incredible good job!