You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Focus Stacking with Lumix DMC FZ1000

Peter47628

Its my hobby doing this with the FZ1000, Canon 500D + Raynox 150/250 achromats, two light tents,  macro led lamps,  and several under- and backgrounds as mirrors etc. Remote control when shooting series via Panasonic ImageApp and GSimpleRelease. Before AP I used Zerene Prosumer to get one photo from the staple. Here some examples what I'm doing.

Sorry for my english :)

Aufgeblühte weisse Rose klein.jpg

BR 03 03 054 (4) klein.jpg

Challenger UP 3967 (1) klein.jpg

Gelbe Rose 3 klein.jpg

Gelb-Orange Rose klein.jpg

Kürbis klein.jpg

Stein Zons 2 (1) klein.jpg

Steinchen 1b klein.jpg

Big Boy 1 klein.jpg

Mini-Paprikas 2 klein.jpg

KZa 2 klein.jpg

Rotationsbürsten klein.jpg

Bleikristallschale klein.jpg

Dessert klein.jpg

Brieföffner beschnitten klein.jpg

Alfa Romeo DTM .jpg

Füller Feder.jpg

Schale klein.jpg

An impressive collection. I have just received a Raynox 250 so I am keen to try it out. My only criticism is that the front of the locomotive in your second picture is too dark and lacks detail.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks, John.

I started Focus Stacking in 8/2018, had (and have) a good mentor in the Lumix Forum, but I'm still learning. At next I will connect my Galaxy S7 to an old 21" monitor, to hsve better control  over sharpness, light settings etc. as the little displays on FZ and S7 can give..

Peter

The white rose is impressive in detail. I do wonder at the number of exposures though. 168 would suggest a movement of around 0.5mm or less between exposures. Surely this is overkill? How long did this processing take? I would probably taken no more than 30 shots. I wonder what you would get had you used every every fifth or sixth exposure. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

John,

the number of shots is taken automatically by GSimpleRelease, the remote-control app-tool. I have to fix there the nearest and the farest point of sharpness, then start it, and it shot the serie. And had within other motives more than 168 shots.

The way is so: At first I have to connect my FZ1000 with the Panasonic ImageApp - when they have connected, I have to start GSimpleRelease and do so as I wrote.

The processing time mostly is about half an hour, sometimes a little more. And steps - if you choose in GSR a larger number than 1,  you will loose details.

I will soon connect my Samsung S7 to an old 21" monitor, thinking  that it is easier this way to find the sharpness-points as within the little displays on camera or handy.

Peter

@Peter47628,, Thanks for that. If your app-tool is doing all the heavy lifting, then why not use it. It is worth waiting half an hour for images of this quality to be produced.

John

Thanks, John.

Here is a picture which took a lot more shots, exactly 426, and AP had about 3 hours to do with this gauge "N" locomotive. Cause I let it always do RAW-Stacking, and do not convert the RAW-Staple into TIFF before.  But, I'm an old man and have time enough for waiting until it's ready :D And, Focus Stacking makes a lot of fun, as well as post-processing with AP, too.

Peter

BR 85 von hinten miitelgroß.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In between I found out, that AP is able to handle Stacking-Series with more than 900 single photos. Two of them (crystal-details in 3:1) I will upload to show you.  What shall I say - AP is for me the best picture-processing software all over the world :).

Stein Zons 1 mit Ray 250 full (3) klein.jpg

Stein Zons 1 mit Ray 250 full (2) klein.jpg

Hello, Peter,

hope I have as much  patience one day. I really like the detail your pictures are showing front to rear.

This view was taken with much less shots (about10), with a FZ1000 and the Panasonic App as well. AP did not even start to sweat while stitching it together.

The JPEG was reduced in size and quality for the upload.

Leyk TotalTief 181225k.jpg

Very well. Blende 21, I love such little table-top towns. But where I live I have no place for things like this to store.

When using the ImageApp together with GSimpleRelease, you will have full remote-control over the FZ, and sometimes it will take a lot of shots. The smaller things are, the more shots are taken.

Here's another crystal, 252 shots with the FZ + Canon 500D Macro-Achromat. I also convert for forums etc. pics into JPG and resize them a little.

Halbdruse klein.jpg

Hello Blende, many thanks :)

No, I don't calculate that. I only connect my FZ1000 via WiFi with two apps on my Galaxy S7 - first the Panasonic ImageApp, then GSimpleRelease if the connection to IA is established. Then, in GSR, I have to search and fix the nearest and the farest points of sharpness, choose as step-wide 1 (larger numbers will loose details), and then start executing. All the rest does GSR. It drives from near to far, calculates a step, makes an exposure,  calculates the next step and set the focus in the camera to it, exposures, and so on. As I said before, the smaller the object, the more shots will result. It's a simple and half-automatic procedure, You see..