Jaffa

Straighten problem in Aff Photo in Windows

For whatever reason I am not getting Affinity Photo in Windows to straighten.  I look to see what I am doing wrong, but seems it is the program at this time.

I have a photo and want to straighten.  I choose the crop tool and then in the bar up top choose "Straighten".  Sure enough the icon of the levelling device appears.

Next, I drag to the right to identify the part I believe is straight.  However I do not get the level line shown in the videos.  The 'tool' chooses to identify a crop area, which

invariably, as I am trying to identify a straight line to it, ends in a very long, very slim crop.  Have tried this 20/30 times and always get the same result.  I have worked with

Photoshop Elements and then Affinity Photo, in total, for about 7 1/2 to 8 years - so am no novice.  Help soon please!!

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Nik Collection

Amd processor 6 Core,  8 Mgs RAM

I never use "straighten" -- select crop tool > put cursor outside the crop lines to get the 90c arrow > turn to suit 
You likely know Ctrl + " to open the grid  
can also us the square marquee tool + mask in a similar way 
You may need to flatten after straightening 
Feel I'm showing you how to suck eggs but others might need to know

I use a similar method to that of @ianrb. However, I first use the crop tool to make a narrow rectangle that encloses the line I want to straighten. I then rotate as @ianrb does, and then I expand the crop region to suit.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and Designer 1.6.5.123, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi Jaffa, maybe a short video showing what happens. Personally I have tried everything I can to "not" show the level line but the damn thing keeps showing lol!

If you don't have a lot of customisation in Affinity Photo maybe go to the Miscellaneous tab in Preferences and reset Reset Default User Defaults.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Personally I have tried everything I can to "not" show the level line but the damn thing keeps showing lol!

It works perfectly for me as well, but I am on a Mac so I don't know what the problem might be in Windows.

Not that it helps the OP, but I just noticed that on Macs, holding down the CMD key while the Crop tool is active enables the straighten mode, just like clicking on the context toolbar does.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

holding down the CMD key while the Crop tool is active enables the straighten mode

In windows too

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Windows 10 Home v 1803/ 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

Just now, HVDB Photography said:

In windows too

Except I am guessing it is not the CMD key but instead the CTRL one?

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Except I am guessing it is not the CMD key but instead the CTRL one?

Indeed

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Windows 10 Home v 1803/ 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB

Here's a quick video that visualize the three methods

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:23 AM, HVDB Photography said:

Indeed

Many thanks HVDB, that works great!  Also, your video is very helpful.   I appreciate all those others who also took the time out to respond!

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Nik Collection

Amd processor 6 Core,  8 Mgs RAM