You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Advert for Instagram

Taff048

Hi all

My first attempt at using Publisher Beta Version 1.7.0.206. I needed to create a square image for Instagram to advertise a concert. I had a square image of the church which I imported into publisher.  It was rather large so I had to reduce the size by dragging a corner to fit on the page.  Although the edges of the image were visible in what I would call the work area around the page the photo's detail was not, which I found strange.  The image was too bright to show the white text I wanted to use so I drew a grey rectangle over it and reduced the opacity to 64%. I then used the artistic text to layout the text. I was surprised to find how easy it was to line up the various text sizes.  Once I was happy with the text layout I grouped them then used select all and aligned all objects centrally on the page horizontally and vertically. I then exported as a png using selection with background.

So my first impressions are that this is excellent software apart from the work area. I need to create a multiple page document to see if its possible to park objects in the work area to move from one page to another. As objects don't seem to be visible in the work area I'm not sure how this would be possible.

WHITCHRCH iNSTAGRAM.png

On 12/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, Taff048 said:

Although the edges of the image were visible in what I would call the work area around the page the photo's detail was not, which I found strange.

Do you have the "Bleed" area showing? If not, from the menu select View, then from the drop down menu select Show Bleed. I think there is a keyboard shortcut, but I can't find it at the moment. Still learning :-)