You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Studio Panels Will Not Dock

This is something I haven't tried before, so I don't know if it was present in previous beta versions.

When I add a Studio Panel, it is placed in a default location. According to the documentation, I should be able to move the pane somewhere else. As long as I move a panel to an existing panel group, that's fine. What I tried was to pull a panel group from a column--the one on the right. It was now a floating panel group. When I tried to place it back in the same column, there was no way it would dock. It would either dock to create a new column to the left, or a really big column on the far right over everything else. I tried every which way I could think to dock the panel group back into the same column--but nothing worked. Finally, the only way I managed this was to reset the studio, which moved all panels to their default locations--including the three panel groups on the right. I should be able to slip new panels into any column. If manually placing a panel or panel group into a column that already contains a panel or panel group is not possible, it should be well indicated in the documentation, but relocating panels should be simple and obvious.

It should dock (and they do, for me) but you need to watch the position of the blue highlight as you move it over the window as that determines where it will dock. Or, if you're trying to dock to an existing set of panels, you need the blue highlight to disappear.

I find it best to play with it a bit. For example, take one of the tabs on the right studio, say Layers. Drag it exactly horizontally to the left. Once it is clear of the studio you should see a large blue highlight bar whose top aligns with the document tabs along the top of the workspace. If you release it, you get a new studio column there.

Drag it again, and get it below the tab line where it started, and start moving up. Just below the tabs of that studio you should see another blue highlight. If you drop it there, it will be on its own row in the column, probably above where you wanted it. Now grab it, and drag it down toward the studio where you want it. It should click into place. If you go too far you'll get another blue highlight, so move upward a bit.

It may take some playing, but you should get the hang of it shortly. (Note: I'm using a mouse; if you're using a stylus the physical characteristics may require some adjustment.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried this again this morning. I WAS able to get studio panels to dock in an existing column on either side. Although this worked fine today, for whatever reason, it was not behaving like this when I created the topic. Trust me, I tried all sorts of ways to dock those panels. I'll keep an eye on them to see if the non-docking repeats itself. Thanks, Walt, for your reply.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.