You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing text in tables

Having finally, with the help of these forums, discovered how to set up a table with the required number of columns and rows, I am now finding it difficult to edit text in the cells.  I can type into a cell, not too difficult (except with the top left-hand cell!), but if I want to go back and edit the text later I can't. The cursor simply won't go back to the line of type.  I've tried it with and without the table selected, using the body text tool and the artistic text tool (which sort-of worked in an empty cell but produced a text box I didn't really want) and I still couldn't edit or erase the original text in the cell. I had to delete the whole table and start again. What's the trick?  Going back to a table after leaving it also meant I couldn't adjust the number of rows and columns as I could when setting up a new table but only using the 'insert' and 'delete' commands.  There also seems to be no way to repeat the same text in every cell except by manually copying and pasting - rather tedious with you have 65 cells as in a return label sheet!  I do a lot of labels.  Please tell me there's an easy way!  I can't use my beloved PagePlus (used since the first beta version) any more as my Windows computer has died and I really don't want to spend money on a new one just for labels.

Another problem:  As an alternative to using tables I've managed to divide a page into x rows and y columns, but was unable to set a gutter for columns but not rows, they had to be equal.  But my sheet of labels had gutters for columns only.  In this case it didn't matter much as I was centering the text anyway so just had to watch the length of each line, but I can imagine a scenario where this could be quite important.

What am I missing?

On 1/2/2019 at 10:30 AM, Dave Harris said:

It sounds like the table wasn't a table any more. You may have inadvertently converted it to curves by pressing Cmd-Return. You can check whether this has happened by looking in the Layers panel.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave, but it's highly unlikely as I never use keyboard shortcuts for anything as I can never remember them!  I can't check it though as I deleted the whole thing in disgust and started again using page rows and columns, which was tedious but worked.   When I have time I'll try the table again and see if I can find some way of going back into a cell to edit the contents. 

• 2 years later...

Years after, I’ve the same problem with imported IDML files. I have some single-cell tables used as boxed paragraphs in InDesign, and it is no longer possible to edit the text in them. I've not done any conversion, but it seems that the import automatically converted them.

Paolo

23 hours ago, anto said:

Try to use ALT+ click on table to edit text in it.

Thank you, but I have tried with all the modified keys.

SOLVED! I don't know how. I reopened the IDML file, selected the Text tool, and could edit the text in the table.

Paolo

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem with just regular tables created within the tool, it would be incredibly hard to get back into the table edit the text.

I would forge forward banging on letters while trying to highlight the table.

As mentioned above.

1) Select table

2) Click the frame text tool (T)