Cosdet

Colors on picture look fake when editing with affinity?

So here’s the deal, I paid the 20 euros to buy this app to edit on the go for my events. I noticed this weird kind of color effect on the app which makes the picture look cheap and fake, the opposite of what this app markets itself as. At first I didn’t bother, but them I opened Snapseed a FREE APP and I didn’t get that when I was editing the same picture. I attached the pictures of both so you can see. I didn’t mess with Affinity settings at all and you can see I have basically done the same thing om both apps. I turned exposure down, contrast and brightness a little bit up and saturation a lot. Also notice that ugly shine next to the lip which automatically came on even before I messed with the pictures settings but the same didn’t happen on Snapseed? Wth if this is what you call pro editing app i want my money back!

514B0556-EB36-4BC5-BC63-7A28E0A85FC7.png

4072BB15-D7F0-471E-8BC0-F7B5045EF16F.png

B49530DD-8A92-4F62-B04B-881384224B8F.png

032CCD82-8233-4215-B25F-6C67A6725244.png

C02B6F27-0F00-43BB-B066-6223083B3E38.png

B8B606FE-9550-4446-98C7-7BEDA49493B3.png

E069ACD2-B397-4DB1-8779-001035932F1C.png

EE6C95A0-0135-49F6-BAE0-2C7568CDFFC8.png

D7BFA892-534E-4EE0-9107-9B16799F2461.png

Hi @Cosdet,

Sorry for the delayed reply and welcome to the forums. 

If you attach the original RAW file we can have a look for you.

As far as I can see, you get that "fake" effect because you're over-using the sliders. You've got saturation, vibrancy and contrast with pretty high values for such a photo. Turn them down a bit and you should see an improvement. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Cosdet,

Sorry for the delayed reply and welcome to the forums. 

If you attach the original RAW file we can have a look for you.

As far as I can see, you get that "fake" effect because you're over-using the sliders. You've got saturation, vibrancy and contrast with pretty high values for such a photo. Turn them down a bit and you should see an improvement. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

No, sorry but what you are saying is not reasonable. As. You see in the pictures above did the same with a FREE app called Snapseed and didn’t get that. Plus it is not the first time it happened to me. It got to the point where I don’t trust the app to edit anymore and really wish I could get my 20 euros back.

71084C2F-6CFA-4EF2-AF24-6A24256EA1D2.jpeg

The app seems to have an issue as it does this even before messing with any sliders. If you look at the first attached pic above on my first post I didn’t mess with anything and if you look at the cheek there is a weird effect which Snapseed for example doesn’t do

I believe you're missing the point here. I tried to explain to you why you photo looks "fake". Have you tried to use lower values?

Bear in mind that a value of 5 contrast will look different from app to app, because they have got different algorithms.

Also, you might see a difference in the preview without any adjustments because of the different RAW engines. We use Apple RAW to process them. Google might use a different raw engine, hence the difference.  

It may be worth disabling the apply tone curve option as well under settings which may then give you similar results to Snapseed before you start editing.

What iPad and iOS version do you have because I believe there is an issue with Snapseed opening RAW files currently in iOS so you may not actually be working on the RAW file in Snapseed which could also explain the difference - do you get the RAW module in Snapseed or just the regular editing tools?

I like Snapseed as an editor and you can get some great results quickly but if you want to spend more time on your edits, it's hard to beat Affinity Photo - there is just more of a learning curve to get the best out of it imho.

On the above examples, it appears to me that you need to 'develop' your images carefully first in AP before further editing whereas in Snapseed you are probably working on a JPG or other internally processed version without the need to develop first which may explain all this as you are not getting the full flexibility of the RAW file.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, donka said:

It may be worth disabling the apply tone curve option as well under settings which may then give you similar results to Snapseed before you start editing.

What iPad and iOS version do you have because I believe there is an issue with Snapseed opening RAW files currently in iOS so you may not actually be working on the RAW file in Snapseed which could also explain the difference - do you get the RAW module in Snapseed or just the regular editing tools?

I like Snapseed as an editor and you can get some great results quickly but if you want to spend more time on your edits, it's hard to beat Affinity Photo - there is just more of a learning curve to get the best out of it imho.

On the above examples, it appears to me that you need to 'develop' your images carefully first in AP before further editing whereas in Snapseed you are probably working on a JPG or other internally processed version without the need to develop first which may explain all this as you are not getting the full flexibility of the RAW file.

I am sure I am working with RAW as is automatically goes to develop settings first. And it still buffles me that a free app does better than something I paid. For.. now i open everything in Snapseed first.. how do you dissble apply tone curve, I don’t see it in settings?

1 minute ago, Cosdet said:

how do you dissble apply tone curve, I don’t see it in settings?

That's one of the settings in the Assistant Manager, which you can reach via the View menu. You'll need to do it before you open the image.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's one of the settings in the Assistant Manager, which you can reach via the View menu. You'll need to do it before you open the image.

Thanks for the tip but still couldn’t find it

1 hour ago, Cosdet said:

Thanks for the tip but still couldn’t find it

You're welcome. And my apologies, but I only just realized your question is about iPad, not desktop. The answer is probably different, assuming it's possible on the iPad version.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

You will need to open an image first then go to document icon which is second in from the top left and select assistant. The option will then be near the bottom right. 

As for Snapseed, I’m surprised you are getting the development tool to come up as that is a known bug. 

EDF1BCB1-B17E-450E-B7C7-F49D05D2FDE7.jpeg

C499C0C3-708E-4592-B8E4-72E4A6D54A17.jpeg

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.1  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

19 hours ago, donka said:

You will need to open an image first then go to document icon which is second in from the top left and select assistant. The option will then be near the bottom right. 

As for Snapseed, I’m surprised you are getting the development tool to come up as that is a known bug. 

Thanks for the help. Not in my experience I never had any bugs from Snapseed. I have like a billion using Affinity though

3 hours ago, Cosdet said:

Thanks for the help. Not in my experience I never had any bugs from Snapseed. I have like a billion using Affinity though

It’s documented on the google support forums but I have since found that it only applies to certain camera makes. I have found it works okay with my Sony RAW files but not Fuji even though these are both supported by iOS.