You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows 10 vs desktop version

You are talking about the same thing, the windows 10 app is the desktop version. There are no "Options" on the Windows platform. Functionality is complete, the only limitation is with the trial version, that being a limit of time, but within that restriction the Affinity products are fully functional for the trial period. Purchasing the Windows version will get you a fully functioning version.

Affinity is in the 1.x.x cycle so you will get free updates until v2, v1.7 is currently in beta testing so you will be on 1.6.5 Build 135 if you purchase the stable version, but as soon as 1.7 is out of beta you will be able to update to 1.7 for free.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

25 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You are talking about the same thing, the windows 10 app is the desktop version.

I think the OP is asking about the Microsoft Store version (for Windows 10 only) and the Affinity Store version (for Windows 7, 8.1 or 10). Although the feature sets and user interfaces of the two versions are the same, the Affinity Store version comes with a product key and can be copied and installed to any compatible computer that you own or control; the MS Store version is tied to your MS account, so it can only be installed on other PCs by logging in to your account and downloading it again. Updates for the Affinity Store version need to be downloaded from the Affinity Store; updates for the MS Store version are delivered by the MS Store.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

I think the OP is asking about the Microsoft Store version (for Windows 10 only) and the Affinity Store version (for Windows 7, 8.1 or 10). Although the feature sets and user interfaces of the two versions are the same, the Affinity Store version comes with a product key and can be copied and installed to any compatible computer that you own or control; the MS Store version is tied to your MS account, so it can only be installed on other PCs by logging in to your account and downloading it again. Updates for the Affinity Store version need to be downloaded from the Affinity Store; updates for the MS Store version are delivered by the MS Store.

ah got ya, thanks for the heads up on that Elfred, not sure why you'd want to buy the Microsoft store version, very restrictive in that sense.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

not sure why you'd want to buy the Microsoft store version, very restrictive in that sense

I agree, Dex, but think people who want MS Store apps like them for the same reason as Mac users like the MAS: you just log in to your account, press an ‘Install’ button and the product is downloaded and installed for you without your having to track down a product key and run the installer manually.

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

I agree, Dex, but think people who want MS Store apps like them for the same reason as Mac users like the MAS: you just log in to your account, press an ‘Install’ button and the product is downloaded and installed for you without your having to track down a product key and run the installer manually.

Yes I suppose it is a lot easier that way. 

4 minutes ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

I agree, Dex, but think people who want MS Store apps like them for the same reason as many Mac users like the MAS: you just log in to your account, press an ‘Install’ button and the product is downloaded and installed for you without your having to track down a product key and run the installer manually. 

Thanks Elfred... Yep, MS Store and Affinity Store versions (my perfect english helps a lot haha).

I understood about the activation part, but there are software limitations in the MS Store app? Tools, effects, workspace etc.

My question is because of the price, the MS Store is in BRL (R$ 147) and in the Affinity Store only in USD (more expensive / R$ 170).

21 minutes ago, giosepeluiz said:

but there are software limitations in the MS Store app?

Not deliberately - the MS Store version runs in a sandboxed environment, which makes it tricky to use as an external editor.  It's quite easy to break the protection, but it's obviously not something that Serif can recommend.

I don't think it's possible to run Beta releases with MS Store versions, either.  

Are you sure you're looking at current prices - the Affinity Store was offering 20% off over Christmas.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

45 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

not sure why you'd want to buy the Microsoft store version, very restrictive in that sense.

The software runs in a sandboxed environment, so it's supposed to be more secure.  Given how easy it is to reset the ownerships / protections, I don't know how effective it is.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

2 hours ago, IanSG said:

I don't think it's possible to run Beta releases with MS Store versions, either.

I don’t think it was possible when the MS Store version first became available, but I believe they subsequently solved that problem.

Alfred spacer.png