You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slice size, in Export Persona, too big when using adjustment layer

Hi all, and merry xmas/happy new year :)

I ran into little problem when trying to export some images using Export Persona: the size for the slice, which is created when i select layer and press the Create slice-button, is too big.

The problem seems to happen if exported layer is using copied adjustment layer (HSL, in this case). File attached. I also created video (https://youtu.be/NIXkSoyGbfM) where i demonstrate the problem: first i try to slice when layer contains copied adjustment layer, and the size is too big. Then i remove the HSL layer, and re-slice it, and the size is correct. Lastly i add HSL layer manually, and the size is correct!

Not sure if it has anything to do with this problem, but i noticed that the text for the copied layer is darker than if i create it manually.

Any idea what might be causing this? And how to fix it

Cheers
-kimmo

AD 1.6.5.135, OS Win10 64 bit

icons.afdesign

I think this happens because the  adjustment layer was copied from a layer (in another document?) with dimensions of 1541 x 1280 px & "Create Slice" in the Export Layers panel considers those dimensions to be the size of the slice. I don't know if this should be considered a bug or a feature, or why that isn't happening for the "base" or "select face" slices, but the fix is easy enough for the too-large slices:

In the Draw Persona, for each of those too-large items, find the nested HSL adjustment layer & drag it over its parent layer's thumbnail (important!) until you see a short vertical bar indicating it will be converted to a mask for the parent layer. (The parent layer is the group immediately above the adjustment layer.) If you drag the adjustment layer anywhere other than onto the thumbnail of the parent or just to the right of it, you will not get the short vertical bar & it won't be converted to a mask.

After doing this, in the Export Slices panel, you can delete all the too-large slices, switch to the Export Layers panel, & create the now correctly sized slices.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Could I also jump into this thread because I am having a similar issue - perhaps not as dramatic, but definitely a problem none the less. It does not have any reference to the HSL part. But it does to the export persona exporting too big an image.

When I create a slice using the 'create slice' button. The default slice outline box (blue frame) it makes of the vector graphic is a pixel too big on both the top and bottom. Since the vector graphic is not filling the whole blue slice frame - it is saved with, effectively a white border on one side, which is clearly visable even though it is a pixel in width.

For example I'll have an image I have specifically cropped to 700x400px. I then create a slice and the blue slice frame shows a box of 701x401px. I am finding I have to constantly check the frame is the correct dimensions and that it doesn't export with empty space. 

Any thoughts? Perhaps I am doing something wrong! I have been using affinity designer consistently for a number of years now - but definitely noticed this problem more recently.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Davidlower said:

When I create a slice using the 'create slice' button. The default slice outline box (blue frame) it makes of the vector graphic is a pixel too big on both the top and bottom.

An example file demonstrating this would help -- one with just a single vector object would be fine.

That said, the most likely cause of this is the vector object(s) are not pixel-aligned -- IOW, they are not positioned on integer x or y pixel coordinates and/or not an integer number of pixels wide or high. Because of that, the slice must expand to the nearest integer values to include all of each object.

The solution is to enable the "Force Pixel Alignment" button on the main toolbar (but not the "Move By Whole Pixels" one) & move the objects to whole number x & y starting coordinates, & if necessary adjust the widths & heights as needed. For the latter, using the Transform panel is helpful.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R Yeah that seems to have fixed it maybe. It is definitely better working with fixed pixels, especially if you are exporting specific sizes frequently. However just playing with it now. I made a new vector and it added a pixel to the top, but correct dimensions on the sides. Not sure why it would do that. I'll keep an eye on this and see if it improves. I'll report back if it continues to be an issue. At the moment it does still seem off.

Thanks for the help.

29 minutes ago, Davidlower said:

However just playing with it now. I made a new vector and it added a pixel to the top, but correct dimensions on the sides. Not sure why it would do that.

A screenshot of the Transform panel with the vector object selected with the Move Tool might help us see what the issue is. Also, in Preferences > User Interface, check to make sure the value for Pixels in the "Decimals Places for Unit Types" section is set to 1 or more -- if it is set to zero you won't see factional pixel values in the Transform panel because they are rounded off to whole pixel values for the display (but internally all the values retain the decimal part).

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, Davidlower said:

So here is the screenshot you requested @R C-R.

I just wanted a screenshot of the Transform panel in the Draw Persona with the object selected with the Move Tool. There is no Move Tool in the Export Persona, so I neglected to mention it was the Draw Persona's Transform panel I was hoping to see.

In retrospect, I should have made that clearer -- sorry about that.

Affinity Photo 

Here @R C-R is a new screenshot. Note it is the same as the transform panel in export persona. It is why I didn't have a preference over which version to select. I did notice that it was displaying the decimal value for pixel. I have since fixed that as you can see in the screenshot. However the slice is still displaying 1px larger. Very strange

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 15.53.14.png

@R C-R This is slightly off top but relevant. You have been such a great help I am wondering if you can continue your help. I am having this issue. As you can see I am exporting 3 images at 700x367px (screenshot). I have selected them all as jpeg with 1x and 2x option. Yet when I export 1x (normal version) the output is 350x183px and 2x is 700x367px. Why is it exporting half the size for 1x? Do you know?

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 16.37.09.png

Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 16.40.07.png

Check the associated export preset by selecting/clicking on a slice.

Further you can double click into the shown [1x ] text field and edit the 1x value there to the desired exact "700w, 367h" (width, height) size you want!

smaller_size.jpg.cf632b6849f8342143bd672e48943309.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 hours ago, Davidlower said:

Here @R C-R is a new screenshot. Note it is the same as the transform panel in export persona. It is why I didn't have a preference over which version to select. I did notice that it was displaying the decimal value for pixel. I have since fixed that as you can see in the screenshot. However the slice is still displaying 1px larger. Very strange

Any idea why the x coordinate of whatever you have selected is -2845 px? It might help if we knew what was selected, or you could provide a screenshot of the part of the Layers panel with that item selected. 

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, Davidlower said:

Note it is the same as the transform panel in export persona. It is why I didn't have a preference over which version to select. I did notice that it was displaying the decimal value for pixel. I have since fixed that as you can see in the screenshot.

That new screenshot shows the Y coordinate as ending in .2, so you did not "fix" the problem completely.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1