You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with Add operation

Thanks for the answer however from video that I was recreating this Add operation worked just fine with same amount of extra nodes in main shape of a phone. Deleting some nodes are going to distort main shape and wont be same as Adding everything with Add Operation.'

#Edit
From what I see I have to delete just few nodes from biggest shape and Add Operation works fine.

Zoom in strongly before removing nodes and be careful to remove only those that are not on the main shape so that it does not distort.
The image on the right of my screenshot shows the result after deleting the nodes and the "Add" operation.

Even deleting one node from middle of the biggest shape makes Add Operation works fine. What is the problem here? Does this shape must be connected in some shape or form?

#Edit
Is this a Bug or something specific appear in my situation?

I don't know if this is the right explanation, but I think these two lines are the remaining parts of the two circles that were used to make the ends. Since they are isolated and discontinuous curves, they cannot be used in a Boolean operation.

Hey @Bobi , while all those extra nodes aren't great to have in there (btw they aren't actually lines. They're flat holes) only one is technically illegal. It's a single node all by itself.... an aberration (messing with it too much actually crashed Designer a couple of times).
That's the one that needs to be deleted in order for the Boolean to work (messily, but work). Funny thing is though, if you delete any node that one disappears too and solves the problem. Another solution is to just hit the close curve button. That will make the point into another "closed" shape, although it will still look like just one point (until you pull on it a bit ;))

189791120_lonewolf.png.abf903d18c30efd179f4f5016ed9ce76.png

Had a doodle to see how you made the phone and tried an alternative method.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-28-at-19-57-39.png

phoneapp another method.afdesign Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, gdenby said:

J-J, Can you tell us how you came across the "lone wolf" effect?

I don't know exactly what causes it but I have seen it a few times, usually in files imported from some other vector format.

I also remember seeing one appear when I had clicked with the Pen Tool to set the first node of a shape & something, a notice from another app or some such, popped up on the screen & I had to click one of its buttons to dismiss it. The details are hazy but I think I may also have done something else to switch out of the Pen Tool before setting the next node.

Whatever it was, it was the result of some unusual sequence of events.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7