You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Set stroke and/or fill for multiple objects

Unless there's already a way I haven't found, I'd like to be able to select multiple objects and set their fills and/or strokes all at once.  I know styles can be used, but sometimes I just need to make a quick change to several objects stroke width, color, or their fill color and don;t want to go through the hassle of styles.

Hello Wizaerd, if I understood your question correctly, you can simply select all the objects, even different ones, to change their color or outline at once.

If your drawing must include similar objects, create the first one as a symbol, then drag this symbol onto the drawing for "copies", you can then change the color, the outline of all occurrences by changing only one.

I never knew this.  I always just assumed because the stroke and fill boxes didn't show up on the top toolbar when multiple objects were selected, that meant it wasn't possible. But I used the stroke and color options on the left side toolbar and it did work.  So I retract my suggestion, or perhaps revise it to make this a little more obvious somehow.  I've been using Affinity Designer for a couple of years, always frustrated thinking I had to set stroke and fill options individually... My own fault I suppose... heh heh heh

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, mediumcheese said:

Though why can't I add a second stroke via the appearance panel to multiple objects at once?

This is an interesting question. Never noticed that.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Sonica said:

Any workarounds?

Sure.

1. select all objects you want to change
  2. right-click the stroke entry in the Appearance panel and select Duplicate
  3. don't worry that seemingly no 2nd stroke was added, it's there
  4. change the stroke appearance in Appearance panel, it will now affect the previously created duplicate

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2