You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have just done a test on file sizes. I embedded images on to 10 A4 pages with the Picture Frame and Place Image Tools. Then I linked images on to 10 new A4 pages. Then I simply dragged images on to 10 new A4 pages.
After saving the files, I found they were all the same size. How come? Surely the file with the Linked images should be considerably smaller.

Duncan

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2018 at 5:52 PM, Steps said:

The link is just for recognizing updates to the original files.

It does not have to be it that way? Indesign detects changes to the image even when linked. I can't imagine how big my usual 400 pages manual with 1.600 images would be in the end. The Publisher file consumes disk space plus the same amount for the linked images. I know, disk space is cheap nowadays. But I started with DTP when a hard disk with 500 MB was ridiculously big, so I want everything to keep clean and small. Just my opinion ... ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

It does not have to be it that way?

No, it does not have to be that way, but that's the way it is. At least for now.

Serif is aware of our concerns with how Linked files are working, and perhaps that will change later in the beta process.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I pasted the main story of a long book published in PagePlus = 332Kbytes with all images linked.

The Affinity Publisher file is 13.8 Mbytes. There are no images — just text, and less text than in the original. No index or contents, no master page text, no footnotes. The story was pasted from the clipboard as RTF after stripping all inline graphics, footnotes, and index marks. 

Compression with 7-Zip to 7z LZMA2 format, which offers better compression than plain Zip used by PagePlus, reduces the file size to 12.0 Mbytes. 

What is the reason for this? 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

• Staff
4 hours ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

What is the reason for this? 

It's a different file format. They are designed for different programs & purposes. I expect that the saved spread previews are making the affinity files larger than you expected

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

The unexpectedly large file size isn't a show-stopper for me but still quite a nuisance. The 200 images in my .afpub file are 'linked' but the file is still 1.5GB. I'm actually quite impressed with how responsive Publisher is with this large a document but it does cause several problems. I don't know for sure that the large file size is causing all of these problems but I didn't run into any of them until the file got over 1GB.

.. the fan in my Macbook runs a lot because Publisher is consuming 100%-200% of the CPU while I'm working.

.. I sync my Documents folder to Apple iCloud and since the uplink rate is about 1.5MB/sec, it takes 15-20 minutes to upload the file every time I save it.

.. Publisher just quits every now and then so I'm inclined to save frequently -- but see above :-(

My background is computers -- not publishing -- and in that world "linked" has a very specific meaning which is definitely not "embedded." Hopefully Affinity plans to actually link the images but if not, I wish they would call it "connected" or "coupled" or something else. Calling them "linked" is very confusing.

• Affinity Designer 2.4.2
  • Affinity Photo 2.4.2
  • Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Sonoma v14.4.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org