You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NEW... Tutorial from logo design in Affinity to Animation.

Hi all, my name is Allan and this is my first ever video tutorial and it was a lot harder than expected. I normally teach one to one and in a group classroom styled environment but this totally new to me and I had to listen back to my own voice  :( .

This is a tutorial based on Affinity Designer, Motion & FCPX. In this tutorial we look at recreating a video similar to a google advert starting in Affinity with the logo design then on to Motion with a very simple animation, next on to FCPX to complete the video.

​Let me know your thoughts and feedback or anything you wanna know or would like me to cover. Would eventually like to create more shorter videos but in this we take full advantage of great software thats available so stick with it, it is going to be fun  :D 

​Do follow along, I give all the necessary details to be able follow me and create the same project. The reason for this is i'm more of a hands on guy and believe its the best way to learn rather than just guessing and playing around although that does have its benefits.

​Massive thanks to the guy's at Affinity, without creating this software it wouldn't of encouraged me to create this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBqRxbu7pJE

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Absolutely fantastic @Allan. Thanks for sharing!

:D I aim to please. Hopefully people will find it useful. Thank you.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

At first I was curious why you weren't creating a mask layer, then I realized that's exactly what you were doing with creating the black slice, just exporting it so it would be used as a mask in Motion.

Well done.  I wish I had the patience that you did.  I found the pacing of the video just about perfect at 1.5x time speed.

Well done.  I wish I had the patience that you did.  I found the pacing of the video just about perfect at 1.5x time speed.

Thanks.

I think I said somewhere along the line that it would make sense sooner or later  :) . I enjoy teaching and the patience comes through experience and enjoying what you do. Timing is always difficult from a trainers perspective, if I was working on this like I did originally without recording I would of finished in about half the time. Trying to cater for people of all skill sets those brand new to Affinity and never used Motion and too those who are a little more comfortable and at the same time explain what and why you are doing things and trying to remember to mention the shortcuts so those watching can follow along. Tutorials like this are fun but difficult in trying to keep it interesting and not too long for those who want to follow along.

I hope you found the information useful and thank you for your feedback, hopefully they'll be more too come. :)

Allan

I'm not sure I would change the pacing at all.  That is just my preference and when I don't understand something I rewind and go normal speed to give my brain a little more time comprehend the information.

Your video has inspired me to possibly buy Final Cut Pro, though I'm holding off until I have a specific need — perhaps Serif will enter that arena by that time.  There is so much I want to learn, such as becoming a better audio scorer and finding good soundtracks, but we all have to start somewhere :)

The pacing was perfect the content was engaging. I would not change anything. It is hard to try and make video 5 minutes long and explain everything that can be understood by a wide audience. Your voice was fine and clear. I had the same worry when I put my first video out there. Really, great job looking forward to your next one.

I'm not sure I would change the pacing at all.  That is just my preference and when I don't understand something I rewind and go normal speed to give my brain a little more time comprehend the information.

Your video has inspired me to possibly buy Final Cut Pro, though I'm holding off until I have a specific need — perhaps Serif will enter that arena by that time.  There is so much I want to learn, such as becoming a better audio scorer and finding good soundtracks, but we all have to start somewhere :)

Thanks Supervolting. 

Yes we all learn at our own pace. Glad you found some inspiration. I'm sure the guy's are a long way from going down that line, if they do at all. Final Cut is a great piece of software if you have any questions just give me a shout. 

Allan

The pacing was perfect the content was engaging. I would not change anything. It is hard to try and make video 5 minutes long and explain everything that can be understood by a wide audience. Your voice was fine and clear. I had the same worry when I put my first video out there. Really, great job looking forward to your next one.

Hi Ronnie, thanks for those encouraging words. I love short and sweet videos but also agree it's hard to cover content for all. Hoping to do more, I do have ideas it's like most things, time. Looking forward to your review on the 1.2 update.

Allan