You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving an edited picture. Should I flatten?

I opened up an image that came directly out of my iPhone and added some text (using Affinity).  Then, I exported a PNG.  Now, I'm closing Affinity and I got a message asking if I want to save.  Sure.  Why not?  I might want to edit the text at a later time and that cannot be done with the exported photo.  But, if I flatten, wouldn't that make the text un-editable?    

Here is the message I got upon closing (without saving):

The document contains non-pixel elements. Would you like to save the document flattened to pixels, or save as a new document?

What should I do?

EDIT:  Okay, I played around a bit - and it seems that if I want to keep the layers then I need to select Save As... to save the work as an Affinity Photo file.   I was able to re-open and then edit the text after using Save As.. (instead of just Save).   I believe if I simply click Save this will save the picture, a flattened image file, with the added text (similar to exporting an image - I guess).   I would imagine this is because I STARTED by opening an image file (with the jpg extension) and therefore need to use Save As... to save as another type.

True?

I save as a layer tiff file as work is done  --- working from Lightroom so that file is saved to Lr with layers
when finished ; I also 'save as' (Ctrl+shift+alt + s) Jpg --- affinity saves without layers (well done Affinity)
The layered tiff file will be saved with layers -- Once I'm totally convinced I'm happy with the edit I often delete the layered tiff file
all my ''saved as'' files got into the same ''edit'' folder so I don't have think where to save to everytime I save as. Files are moved to their home when imported into Lr5 . Works for me
Best thing is to play it safe -- if not sure save again with layers --- easy to delete any extra files later
BTW: never work on the original jpg file . Always make a duplicate and then add "original" or ''don't edit'' to the original file.
I won't trust myself by working with layers above the original jpeg file 

Hope that helps -- likely telling you how to sucks eggs; but others might need to know  

5 hours ago, dstraigh said:

I believe if I simply click Save this will save the picture, a flattened image file, with the added text (similar to exporting an image - I guess).

If you try to close the document without saving it, you should get a warning message with three buttons, Don't Save, Cancel, & Save. If you click the Save button, you should immediately get another warning message with these three buttons:

1951667103_savedocument.jpg.c086126c39c10b09c93f4a88a0bed6ba.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/27/2018 at 4:01 PM, dstraigh said:

What should I do?

15 hours ago, Fixx said:

Have you got this sorted #dstraigh ? Something I have not thought about or considered is where are you saving too ?
No idea how to turn off your quote Fixx so I deleted it  (??)

2 hours ago, ianrb said:

I don’t know how you managed to invoke the ‘multi-quote’ feature accidentally, but you should be able to delete the empty quote box by simply placing your cursor to the left of the words ‘Have you got this sorted #dstraigh ?’ and backspacing a couple of times.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

I don’t know how you managed to invoke the ‘multi-quote’ feature accidentally, but you should be able to delete the empty quote box by simply placing your cursor to the left of the words ‘Have you got this sorted #dstraigh ?’ and backspacing a couple of times.

Thanks mate; there are still a few things I need to sort about the forum software --- Fixx's quoted started about 8 hours early lol. 
  I will give backspace a try although I'm pretty sure I would have done so --- not overly important --- will give me something to do next year :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 9:50 PM, ianrb said:

Have you got this sorted #dstraigh ? Something I have not thought about or considered is where are you saving too ?

Yes, it's sorted out.   I had opened a picture (jpg/png or similar) then added text.  After exporting (as a jpg/png/whatever) Affinity was, basically saying 'do I want to save as an Affinity Photo file so I don't lose my edits (layers of text)'.  That's how I see it anyway.  So, I did save as an Affinity Photo type (just incase I'd like to change that text!).     

• 5 months later...

I have jpegs that I want to edit and I just want to save them as flattened. Sometimes I get this dialogue box and other times I don't. Jpeg's are from same set of RAW files. I basically crop and apply curves. I merge the curve adjustment. And sometimes, applying same set of edits, I can either save and it saves directly, or it comes up with this dialogue box. Seems random.

• 10 months later...

I'm pretty new to Affinity, photo editing, and photography. What does it mean to flatten a picture? Does it mean you're reducing the quality? Does it affect the picture if you were to print it, or blow it up? What is the highest quality format to save your pictures as after editing - JPEG, PNG, other?

1 hour ago, Danny7112 said:

What does it mean to flatten a picture?

It means to reduce it to a single layer. It is a destructive process in that any adjustments, masks, effects, live filters, etc. are applied to the photo & then they are discarded, leaving only one layer. It does not change the quality but it makes it impossible to edit those items because they are now 'baked into' the document.

JPEG is a lossy format even at the 100% quality setting so it should be avoided if you want to preserve the maximum possible quality of the image.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Danny7112 said:

So.... what format should I save my edited pictures as, then?

bit of a wide question Danny as it depends on how the file will be use .
I'm just a happy snapper these days so my photos are not all that important . 
To keep layers ; I use full size TIFF files
When I'm happy with the edit -- shared on the web -- I often save the photo as around a 16 x 12 jpg file "just in case" and delete the larger tiff . 8x10/12 inches would likely be enough for my needs

> > Don't forget to keep the original file and never edit an original JPEG file . IMO; RAW is not a have to use but it is best practise . 
I hope that answer your question well enough 

Just a note --- many of the suggested "dos and don't do"  for file handling relates back to the early years of digital when cameras and gear were nowhere as good as we have today . However; not working on the original jpg file still is the better practise . 

5 hours ago, Danny7112 said:

So.... what format should I save my edited pictures as, then?

If you want to maximize the ability to continue to edit them later, save them in the native Affinity file format.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Danny7112 said:

But if I'm happy with the edit and don't plan to touch the photo again? But DO plan to print it, and potentially blow it up for printing?

depending the "blow it up" size , I would save as a Jpeg at the highest quality possible .
Most labs will convert files to jpeg before printing , and may even make the file smaller .
You might be surprised at the photo quality a few MB jpg file will be --- 16x12 inch is not problem . Quite often we can only see any difference if have something better, or worse to use as comparison . If getting a very large and expense photo printed it does pay to get a small "proof" photo or two first ---- something like a 10 x 8 inch from the same lab should do . One photo of the whole file and another cropped from the original 
What size "blow up" are you considering --- consider posting the photo ;)

Side note It's amazing how "dangerous" sounding words are used in photography . ''blow it up" means a bomb to me . Shot and shoot are my favourite pet hate words in photography . "The police are looking for the shooter" ---- must be a canon user lol  . "10 kids were shot at the school" --- not sure why 10 kids photographed at the school would be news headline .