You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like Affinity to add the option to be able to scale the glyphs into the Justification palette. This option can be pretty useful when someone is using some justified texts, flush on both side, because it will help to get better white spaces between the words in some difficult situation, as an example with narrow colomns of text.

I am sharing with you here some specs I was using with success into some publications, see the joined picture where I placed (in blue) within Affinity Publisher's Justification palette the option I would like to be added. You can see a sample too of a document I created with these specs many years ago. In this sample page the width of the column if not too narrow, but more problems may occurs with the white spaces between the words where someone is using narrow columns where the text is justified, this latter is where the option of scaling the glyphs may come really handy.

a_justifications.jpg

b_page.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

That is an interesting example. Glyph scaling would no doubt help, but in the mean time, I suppose you would have better results if you reduce the range variation of word spacing and increase the range of variation in letter spacing.

Because of the way Khmer words are formed (and other complex-text scripts), you can't use letter spacing - it just garbles the words:

image.png.f2378d6bba1bbf37a861a2097c9840ba.png

So glyph-scaling is really the only option.

Edited by sungkhum

It really would be great to have another option for publishing as InDesign really corners the market now but because of pricing is out of reach for many. If Affinity added this feature, it looks like everything else would work great in regard to Khmer Unicode support.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all aboard on this

In my case I do a lot of bilingual work (Two co-official languages here) and that means a lot of layout in two columns, usually narrow ones, and one of the languages (Basque) tends to have large words, so you could end with a column with multiple two or three word lines than usually can't be hyphenated (Or a customer that ask for no hyphenation at all).The size of the spaces in that cases is horrible and relaying on word/letter spacing only brings horrible results. Add the lack of GREP styles to manage some forbidden hyphenation on Basque that both InDesign and Affinity insist on commit and you can figure the rest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...