You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

please let me change these settings in 1.7.0.106 to how they are in 1.6.7

I'm working on a 13-inch MacBookPro

I'm missing the following aspects of AP 1.6.7 in 1.7.0.106 – please restore or let me keep them via settings -> user interface:

– When I crop, the space around the photo needs to be darker than the photo (as it is before I activate cropping)
– As long as the setting for Overlay is not sticky and I have to change it for every single photo I work on, I need to be able to change it without also having to click on >> to access it
Edited to add: when I choose a crop ratio, the pulldown with the ratios needs to close itself after I chose, without an additional click by me

(plus an old cropping bug which has been logged already)

Screenshots: top 1.6.7, bottom 1.7.0.106

screenshot_1359.png

screenshot_1360.png

13 hours ago, manu schwendener said:

I need to be able to change it without also having to click on >> to access it

The ">>" appears when the window is not wide enough to accommodate all of the controls that are on the toolbar.  It allows the controls to be accessed when they would otherwise be off-screen.

If you make the window wider the controls should appear directly on the toolbar and enable their use without the extra step of clicking on ">>".

If your display resolution is too low to allow for the window size to be increased until they fit, you are dealing with a limitation of your system configuration, not of the software.  If you are working on a laptop with a smaller screen that cannot fit what you are working on, you might want to consider investing in a larger external display if this is impacting your workflow.

Reordering items on the toolbar to place that one earlier would simply cause something different to be left out, and other people may have different items they consider to be a priority to keep there.

13 hours ago, manu schwendener said:

As long as the setting for Overlay is not sticky and I have to change it for every single photo I work on

I do agree that this setting should either by "sticky" and remember what it was last set to, or at least have a preference somewhere to select which one should come up by default.

> If you are working on a laptop with a smaller screen that cannot fit what you are working on, you might want to consider investing in a larger external display

No. I just want the newer version to not to be less practical than the older version was.

> Reordering ... other people

That's why it should be part of settings.

(and the values should be sticky)

1 hour ago, manu schwendener said:

newer version to not to be less practical than the older version

Note that even with the older version you have ">>" meaning that not everything fit.

Additional features were added with the newer version.

• Staff
On 12/26/2018 at 10:00 PM, manu schwendener said:

I'm working on a 13-inch MacBookPro

I'm missing the following aspects of AP 1.6.7 in 1.7.0.106 – please restore or let me keep them via settings -> user interface:

1. When I crop, the space around the photo needs to be darker than the photo (as it is before I activate cropping)
  2. As long as the setting for Overlay is not sticky and I have to change it for every single photo I work on, I need to be able to change it without also having to click on >> to access it
  3. Edited to add: when I choose a crop ratio, the pulldown with the ratios needs to close itself after I chose, without an additional click by me
  1. I don't think this will change. We initially reported it as a bug as it was different but it got closed. The intention here is to let users know if you exceed the original image dimensions, you will get a transparent border around the cropped edges. I can see the reasoning for his but I think black looks better.
  2. Nothing we can do about this (apart from some options) if your screen size is small. I think the entire bar would need a redesign if we were to address this.
  3. I sort of agree with this but if you aren't sure which preset you want it might be even more tiresome by going in and out until you find the preset you want.

Hi Chris, thank you for replying.

> 1. [...] I think black looks better. 

Yes, exactly. Please keep it as it is in AP 1.6.7 (or let me change it in settings).

> 2. [...] options

Yes, please, let me change what I see in settings, or let me drag&drop what I see.  

> 3. [...] if you aren't sure which preset you want 

I know exactly which preset I want.

What I mean is: 
In AP 1.6.7 I choose the crop ratio via "Mode: ...". After I pick one, the pulldown menu closes automatically. 
In AP 1.7.0.106 I choose the crop ratio via the cogwheel icon. After I pick one, I have to close the the pulldown menu with an additional click on the cogwheel. Please close the pulldown menu automatically after I chose one of the crop ratios.  

(And the cropping ratio should remember the setting from last time I used it, but that's a separate thread). 

6 minutes ago, manu schwendener said:

What I mean is: 
In AP 1.6.7 I choose the crop ratio via "Mode: ...". After I pick one, the pulldown menu closes automatically. 
In AP 1.7.0.106 I choose the crop ratio via the cogwheel icon. After I pick one, I have to close the the pulldown menu with an additional click on the cogwheel. Please close the pulldown menu automatically after I chose one of the crop ratios.  

For what it's worth, AP beta on Windows acts as you prefer. Perhaps they would change the Mac version to be consistent? Or perhaps the Mac build just hasn't caught up with Windows? (Or, perhaps, the Windows version is misbehaving, I suppose.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
52 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For what it's worth, AP beta on Windows acts as you prefer. Perhaps they would change the Mac version to be consistent? Or perhaps the Mac build just hasn't caught up with Windows? (Or, perhaps, the Windows version is misbehaving, I suppose.)

I'm not sure which one is right but It probably should close. I'm guessing if 1.6 and Windows closes it, we've accidentally changed something.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.