You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am NEW to photo editing and have a basic grasp of Affinity Photo. The image I am working with is both a raw and a jpeg. What I want to do is either eliminate or soften  the glow  around the 2 sconce lights on the wall. BTW the belly is going also. What is the best way to achieve my goal on the lighting issue? To cut the file size I uploaded the .jpg

DSC01273.JPG

a good subject for bracketing 
the first edit I would do is crop out most of the 'pop belly'.  

Your biggest drama is the lights are somewhat overexposed ; however you will be able to rescue some of that in the raw file 
Would seem 'shadow/highlight' worked well enough in this edit --- I have also used curves to balance out the light and darks  but it's rather limited with a small jpeg . 
This will give you some ideas --- maybe crop out the belly and one light --- and a bit from the bottom --- use two layers > one darkened/one lightened > blend the two together --- likely getting a bit ahead of you now 
Happy to answer questions were I can 
399911267_DSC01273.thumb.JPG.f683fd378f2334c4c3d2c957dc4eb78e1.thumb.jpg.26d8a2ef1db7977fe9f71d5e711b21bb.jpg

10 hours ago, RLGL said:

What I want to do is either eliminate or soften  the glow  around the 2 sconce lights on the wall. BTW the belly is going also

Just unscrew the lights from the wall.

Good luck getting rid of the belly (I'd recommend diet and exercise)

PS The dead body on the sofa is still visible, I did my best to disguise it but you might want to remove it before the Police get there

wallfinal2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Carl123, I got rid of the dead body, I told the guy to leave the photo and I dimmed the lights, I don't think anyone noticed so keep it under your hat, mums the word! ;-) :ph34r: "The Wolf"

DSC01273 Tweaked.afphoto Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-27-at-09-01-40.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

53 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Carl123, I got rid of the dead body

A classic mistake, you forgot to get rid of the poisoned wine glass, dead persons fingerprints are all over it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

51 minutes ago, carl123 said:

A classic mistake, you forgot to get rid of the poisoned wine glass, dead persons fingerprints are all over it

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Carl123, I got rid of the dead body, I told the guy to leave the photo and I dimmed the lights, I don't think anyone noticed so keep it under your hat, mums the word! ;-) :ph34r: "The Wolf"

DSC01273 Tweaked.afphoto Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel.

What about the coffee mug, or the sofa? The mug most likely has fingerprints of the suspect, the sofa may have DNA evidence. xD

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

It is good to see that so many of you replying are still full of Christmas spirit -- the 80 proof kind, perhaps?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

It is good to see that so many of you replying are still full of Christmas spirit -- the 80 proof kind, perhaps?

Happy hangovers.

7 hours ago, ianrb said:

Your biggest drama is the lights are somewhat overexposed ; however you will be able to rescue some of that in the raw file 
Would seem 'shadow/highlight' worked well enough in this edit --- I have also used curves to balance out the light and darks  but it's rather limited with a small jpeg . 
This will give you some ideas --- maybe crop out the belly and one light --- and a bit from the bottom --- use two layers > one darkened/one lightened > blend the two together --- likely getting a bit ahead of you now 

I am thinking about taking another shot of the area with the lights turned off and blending the two. Then possibly adding a point light to each sconce.

Actually the edits will be used on a group photo to kill the lights.

7 hours ago, RLGL said:

I am thinking about taking another shot of the area with the lights turned off and blending the two.  

better to take 3 or five exposure bracketed photos and blend them. You could try hdr ; however it's a job I would do manually 
Tripod would a be an advantage;)
Another way could be to add some flash -- bracketing will be your friend. 
1/2 the fun is working how to do it .

1 minute ago, ianrb said:

4 minutes ago, ianrb said:

better to take 3 or five exposure bracketed photos and blend them. You could try hdr ; however it's a job I would do manually 
Tripod would a be an advantage;)
Another way could be to add some flash -- bracketing will be your friend. 
1/2 the fun is working how to do it .

I had planned for the tripod

Flash and bracketing, will add that to the plan

The challenge is what it is ALL about! I will work with this on Friday.

Thx