You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta : Symmetry and locking guides

Symmetry with the brushes : any chance to add a feature to lock the symmetry as it is quite easy to accidentally select the lines and move the lines as you apply the brush strokes. Perhaps a right click feature to lock and unlock them ? 

Also, any chance a reset can be added as I like to move the centre of the symmetry but how to put it back to the exact centre of the document ? Again, a right click and reset symmetry to centre option. 

The ability to change the color of the lines, as they don't work so well if you are using a mainly white image so it would be great to have a preference to change the color of the guidelines.

p.s  Love the new procedural texture feature ... superb (be great if there was a feature to show all the commands available such as vec, sin etc ... otherwise a lot of guess work there or just checking the samples)

19 minutes ago, Andrew Buckle said:

Symmetry with the brushes : any chance to add a feature to lock the symmetry as it is quite easy to accidentally select the lines and move the lines as you apply the brush strokes.

Already suggested here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

I believe this feature will be getting its own little flyout to cover what you've suggested. I'm not sure if it will be ready for release but definitely think there's a plan to vastly improve this :) 

Great to hear. I made a list of some of other features for symmetry in a feedback thread about 1.7 in the suggestion forum that I hope you will consider as well. Things like being able to mirror across symmetry lines to retain symmetry easier if you've accidentally deactivated it temporarily, being able to use the snapping feature to align the symmetry lines more precisely,  and of course resetting the lines back to the center of the canvas. :)

A more minor thing I would like to see is making the symmtetry line when first activated to be aligned against the y-axis instead of the current x-axis by default. Maybe it's just me, but I usually start off doing symmetry horizontally instead of vertically. Would also be cool to see the amount of degrees you have rotated the symmetry lines that looks kind of like this:

angle-full-rotation.svg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.