You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Focus stacking with 95 images

unni

Focus stacking with AP. It took about 30 mts for each image. No cropping, only small trimming of borders. Minimal editing like enhancing contrast only done.
Subject: a dead moth which I accidentally came across in the stairway.
Magnification: The field of view for 5X objective is around 5mm X 3mm and 10X about 2.5mm X 1.5mm.
                           From internet I see that the length of one scale is about 0.20mm and width at tip 0.035 mm and distance between the fine longitudinal lines
                           on a scale about 0.001mm. So the smallest feature just visible is about 1 to 2 microns (0.001 to 0.002mm) and 5 micron features are clearly seen.

Camera: Nikon D3100 with 5X and 10X Plan achromatic metallurgical finite objective.
Lighting: One flash Godox TT600 triggered by hotshoe mounted wireless trigger Godox X1N. Powerlevel 1/128, no diffusers.
step movement: Milling machine table , each step was about 15 microns, manual turning.
More details of setup: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/70721-flame-of-the-woods/

10X objective, 95 images stack( eyes) 

834828623_1Motheye10x.thumb.jpg.bbefa34dcde051a7049bb8f5eed359f4.jpg

5X objective, 47 images stack(hair and scales of wings) 

1164039201_2mothhairandscales5x.thumb.jpg.760779993ff69c29684cfaf4863015ee.jpg

10X Objective , 40 images stack(scales on wings) 

1865512553_3Mothscalesonwings10x.thumb.jpg.a0127d8ca553a3ba403d53b2b7e11372.jpg

Impressive! I take it that 30 mts per image is for each of the three final images rather than each of the 95 original images.

In a curious optical effect,the grey scales to the right in #2 looked unclear, but in close-up they are well in focus. It is probably the grey colour that has that effect

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

thanks @Kasper-V @John Rostron. the processing time per stack is about 30mts.as you mentioned, it leads to the final image as the output. there was an overall haze/lack of contrast which was rectified wonderfully by the dehaze feature of AP. the key to success is to have a setup which can move without axial errors. to achieve it professionally, we need linear guides which is expensive. i could achieve similar results with the heavy milling machine table and my crude dial! lighting diffuser is required to get even light and elimination of specular spots but with 1/128 power level and no diffusers, this image was fine, may be because wings are relatively a flat field case compared to other body parts which are more 3 dimensional.