You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why image files on Facebook are not looking the same as in AP?

First of all, I wanted to say that this isn't a specific AP issue as I also used to notice similar behavior in Photoshop.  Anyway, it's quite annoying and I'm looking for a solution.  Here goes:

Just before the holidays, I took a series of self portraits to share on FB and others.  There might have been some processing involved.  For some images, for example, the lighting wasn't right and my hair almost invisible, so I'd use the clone and other tools to "transplant" my hair from not as good images onto the images I wanted to share.  I carefully matched the hair to the new image, using curves, white balance, etc.  On my calibrated monitor within AP, the image looked good to go.  However, after resizing and exporting as JPEG, I found that a quick upload to Facebook seemed to suddenly start showing my edits and my hair looked more like a wig than real.  I thought this might just be compression, so saved in TIFF and uploaded, same thing.  I also make sure and work only with sRGB throughout the entire workflow.  It's as if the blacks in the image are lifted and also some sort of contrast is applied either when viewing in Facebook or even in certain apps outside of AP.  I used to have similar issues with Photoshop, so I think it has something to do with some sort of profile Facebook and others are using.  I notice this with shadows and darks more than anything else: lights and mids either aren't affected, or so little I can't notice.

Is it possible to make my edits look good in the darks on any screen, not just within AP?  I read in archives here and elsewhere that proper color profiles need to be in place on my browser and such, which would eliminate the problem most likely, but for the neighbor down the street who hasn't a clue about profiling, the image I just uploaded is going to look faker than crap.  

I've tried re-editing the offending jpegs and TIFFs, but next to impossible since AP shows it the way it should look.  

Any ideas on this would be welcome.  It drives me crazy.  If it were up to me, I'd stay away from black backgrounds and such altogether during shooting, but I have limited space and little resources, so have to stick to what I have.  Thanks in advance.  

You are always going to get a wide variety of image renditions from different monitors - the majority of which will not be calibrated, room lighting and changes from device to device will all give variations, so, the solution is to work out a way to take better images with whatever resources you have available to minimise editing - think of editing as a last resort. You have to get creative, If you have little room move outside, find light coloured walls, or distance yourself from the background so it blurs. Wear a hat, or add a hat instead of editing the hair, there are lots of workarounds.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

firstdefence, thanks, but unfortunately not quite the answer I was hoping to hear. I was holding off responding to see if anyone else chimed in also before replying. I'm surprised there isn't some way to compromise for this in AP, maybe a curves adjustment or the like, or some other method because surely as I write most folks are doing editing of some type that would also be revealed as I found out with mine. Of course, maybe they're not using black backgrounds either like I did. I've run into this issue with these backgrounds, but it's cheap because I can use a close flash on the subject and end up with black background. I may have to hang a colored sheet behind me next time.

Make sure that the exported image is in the correct ICC profile which should be sRGB.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Hi Eric5,

Yes the suggestion of AiDon about sRGB is important and read the underneath links.

To get good quality images be sure to upload the highest resolution in pixels in the case of regular images for a post 2048px width.

This is about images in general:

This is about high resolution images:

Regards,

David

On 12/26/2018 at 4:54 PM, Eric5 said:

I also make sure and work only with sRGB throughout the entire workflow.

@All Media Lab and AiDon, Eric already stated his workflow includes the sRGB Colour Profile and that his monitor is Calibrated.

A lot of this is meaningless with the plethora of devices and their multitude of configurations. As I have said before editing a poorly taken photo is not a good start and the workflow should be - take the best photo possible to eliminate or at the very least reduce the editing of said images to a bare minimum. Obviously this doesn't take into consideration previously taken images but why show a poor image anyway. A good photographer - amateur or professional should/would never show bad images, the fact that a professional photographer has probably taken twice as many images as you have is immaterial, what matters is they got the shot that looks its best.

In general if editing can be seen because of the change in device then I would have to assume it has been poorly edited; no offence Eric but I can't really see how one could blame the devices you have no control over. A correctly edited image, regardless of the device it is viewed on, will still look good and the edits will be invisible.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Well, essentially I did as firstdefence first said, went back and redid all portraits this time with a surplus of lighting. That did the trick since I did not have to artificially darken any backgrounds with gradients or try cutting out my hair for any reason. I still stuck with a black backdrop, but it was lit up enough that there ended up being no issues.

The lesson learned here is definitely to use more lighting and more strategically.

Thanks again all for the suggestions.