Blende21

[By Design] Change Brightness etc. of a Panorama not possible

When taking a picture of a nightly scene (blue hour), I underexposed the pictures about 2 steps to avoid burning-in of lights (LUMIX FZ1000, format RW2+JPEG). Then I imported them via WLAN-link to my iphone, from there via iCloud to my iPad and from the picture roll there to AP and stitched 7 of them together to create a panorama, using Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 on my iPad Pro 10.5 / 512 (iOS12, actual version).

When I tried to change the development settings of the finished Panorama (size appr. 104 MB), I found that the settings in the develop persona did not affect the picture. The rulers were adjustable, but the picture did not reflect the changes. Even after waiting some time, the picture stayed as exposed initially (which is way to dark etc.).

Other pictures taken and imported through the same process were perfectly adjustable, which includes a HDR composed from 5 shots and a focus stacking including 6 individual pictures. So I think the picture transfer did not create the problem with the development process of the panorama.

Work-Around: Foir a quick fix I exported the picture and made adjustments in Snapseed.The result was (of course) not what raw development in Affinity Photo would have allowed.

Just tried Develop edits on a Panorama and had no issues. Could you post a screen recording of your steps?

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

Yes. See screenshots.

The basic process is the same for all pictures. The others in the project folder were modified without a problem.

This picture is the only panorama in the folder. It was build from 7 rw2-files using the create-Panorama-process of AP and has 104 MB file size.

There are 2 other pictures created from several source photos within AP: One HDR from 5 exposures, and a focus stack from 6 shots. Both are perfectly adjustable, like all the single RAW-files.

Thank you for the assistance.

429544AE-C070-49AA-AF5B-E9551DE1024F.jpeg

6F956182-2936-4B2D-AE17-721A98093EA3.jpeg

7B7CB399-8192-4681-940B-30A03F679BA0.jpeg

P.S. Just tried the same on another panorama. The one I used for this test is appr. 1/3rd smaller than the one that won’t change. 

It worked just fine, with immediate effect on the picture and Histogram. 

Conclusion: The App is working - but not on this specific file.

Try redoing the panorama from scratch.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

Hello, I scratched ....

... with the new pano, created from the same raw pictures, adjustment worked until ...

.. I tried to adjust „clarity“. Then the app froze.

With some try-and-error I found that the app recovers itself after appr. 3-4 min. So it seems that this modification results in a time-consuming / processor intensive job that leads to a blockade of the apps GUI.

A similar problem resulted once (not always) when adjusting „shadows“. With „clarity“ the Problem could be reproduced on every try.

Conclusion: Maybe the issue should be reviewed by a developer, that can analyse the internal working with more detail. If the app is working on something time-consuming, a dialogue would be good, like it occurs when rendering a panorama is under way. When the user knows what’s going on it is time to pour a cup of tea and let things run its course.

I wish everybody a happy, healthy and productive new year !

Hi @Blende21,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

There's only so much an iPad can handle. Bear in mind that you have technically a 150MP RAW image if you stitch a panorama from your 7 images. Try to develop the individual images first, save them as TIFF and then stitch the panorama. 

Thanks,
Gabe.