You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Photographer 53. :)

It’s always easier to help if you can provide an example of the kind of image you’re working with — although the forum anti-spam measures would probably have prevented your attaching anything to your first post — but you can indeed do what I understand you to be asking about. The trick is to duplicate the colour image, make the bottom copy B&W and then delete the selected background from the top copy.

Before attempting to delete the background, go to the Layers panel and make sure the layer type is denoted as ‘(Pixel)’. If it says ‘(Image)’, you’ll need to right-click it and choose ‘Rasterize...’ to convert it to a pixel layer, otherwise it will be treated as a single object instead of a collection of pixels (so deletion would remove the entire image instead of just the selected portion).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I created a duplicate, but I am having a problem separating the layers therefore the B&W adjustments affects both, I think I solved that (I may have a software problem).   I still have the original problem I can select the surrounding background, I can select some of it between the fine outer fur but not the highlights and green foliage which is visible e.g to the left of the right ear, I have been able to attach a copy of the photo this time.  Thanks for your help.

DSC_6096.jpg

30 minutes ago, Photographer 53 said:

I am having a problem separating the layers therefore the B&W adjustments affects both

Unless you nest the B&W adjustment layer, it affects everything underneath it. If you place it between the two copies of the photo, it will only affect the bottom copy, so that anything you cut away from the top (colour) copy will allow part of the bottom (grey) copy to show through.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

Unless you nest the B&W adjustment layer, it affects everything underneath it. If you place it between the two copies of the photo, it will only affect the bottom copy, so that anything you cut away from the top (colour) copy will allow part of the bottom (grey) copy to show through.

I created the duplicate selected B&W adjustment, placed it between the two copies but both are still B&W, any changes I make affect both layers.

4 hours ago, Photographer 53 said:

Yes that is what I am looking for.

Okay ... here's  how I did it. Just a quick, rough video that shows the techniques I often use.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

4 hours ago, Photographer 53 said:

I created the duplicate selected B&W adjustment, placed it between the two copies but both are still B&W, any changes I make affect both layers.

If you are going to place the B&W adjustment between the two copies, it must be nested, like this, so it only affects that layer:
nested.jpg.02bbc5ee7ce4aa319747ae6188390bb1.jpg

Initially, the top layer with the B&W adjustment will completely cover the bottom full color one, so everything will be in black & white. To reveal the full color squirrel on the bottom layer, you will need to either delete (erase) the squirrel from the top layer, which is destructive, or you can paint on the B&W adjustment layer's built-in mask with a black brush to prevent the adjustment from affecting the squirrel. The second method is non-destructive because you can paint with white on the mask to 're-mask' areas as needed or with grey to change how transparent the mask is along edges.

Although the techniques are different in the video just posted by @HVDB Photography, at around 2:08 you can see how he paints on the adjustment layer's built-in mask for a similar effect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7