You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advice for a rookie Sun damaged photo Please Help

Hi All

I have been handed a couple of pictures by a relation and asked if i could help ( its the last 2 pictures he owns of his mum that passed away )because i'm good on computers LOL. I am in other subjects but only dabbled in very basic photoshop stuff. The issue with these pictures is that they have been left in a frame and a rectangular part of both have suffered from sunlight. I have tried adjusting curves etc but to be honest i dont know what i'm doing. Below is a cropped part of image any advice on how i can fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

123123.thumb.jpg.271a34861ba91b194319d14a26a0dfd6.jpg

Ask your relation for permission to upload the full image as it's almost impossible to advise on something like this without seeing how the image as a whole is being changed when you add/perform adjustments.

sundamage.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Carl

Here they are thank you for any help i can get with this as it would make someones day especially at this time of the year. I am ok with fixing the marks on the pictures its just fixing the green haze over part of the picture i am having problems with.

img012.jpg

img013.jpg

Make a rectangular selection around the green sun damaged area and copy to a new layer

Add a Levels adjustment just to this copied layer, switch to the Green channel and adjust Black Level to about 31%

Add a Brightness & Contrast adjustment to the copied layer and adjust Brightness to -19 and Contrast to 100%

The attached AP document just contains the above 2 adjustments used to get rid of the green area so you see where they are placed and what they do.

That's the basics on how I would tackle the green haze

Next I would merge the layers and on the merged layer use the Inpainting brush around the edge of the previously green area to blend it into the image. In some places you would instead need to use the Clone Brush Tool (like the shoes).

The rest is just additional enhancements, like additional blending, spot removal and sharpening etc

A bit busy today but let me know if you get stuck

sundamagefix1.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.