You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question: Weird colours when developing DNG files from LG G6 smartphone

I've been recently trying to process some DNG files produced by my smartphone (an LG G6 aka LG-H870DS), and the colours are appearing faded with a weird hue in the Develop persona compared to the out-of-camera (OOC) JPEGs.

I've tried to edit the DNGs to match the colours of the original OOC JPEGs, but have been unable to do so.

I'm wondering if this is intended behaviour (in other words, me being not being proficient enough in Photo/editing), or if the DNGs are being read incorrectly.

I've included the DNG files in the attachments. For some reason the JPEGs are failing to upload, but I've included a comparison between the DNG and OOC JPEGs.

20180812_072555.dng

20180821_191840.dng

AffinityPhotoDNGProcessingIssue.jpg

• Staff

Hi joeyfjj,

The LG G6 isn't on our supported RAW list, so they may not be being read correctly. You could try using Adobe DNG converter, this would produce another DNG file but one that is more generic. This version may be able to be read correctly and display the image closer to how it was taken.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll be unable to use Photo for my phone images until it's officially supported. Glad to know the DNGs came out correctly in another software.

HVDB: The images you attached have the issue I'm describing: I'm expecting colours similar to the OOC JPEGS (left side in my first post), but I'm getting washed out images shown on the right.

9 minutes ago, joeyfjj said:

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll be unable to use Photo for my phone images until it's officially supported. Glad to know the DNGs came out correctly in another software.

HVDB: The images you attached have the issue I'm describing: I'm expecting colours similar to the OOC JPEGS (left side in my first post), but I'm getting washed out images shown on the right.

Got it all wrong .. Sorry

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB