I am a registered user of Affinity Photo and Designer. I now have a second personal computer, a laptop, and I would like to install Photo on it, as a Windows App rather than execution of the usual .exe downloaded file. That's important to me because my laptop has a very small SSD where the OS is, but will install Apps on a much larger DATA HD. (On my desktop Windows doesn't see Photo or Designer as Windows Apps, but rather as installed programs. I'd like to change that situation too, but that's a later topic.)

So....

Should I pay for the Windows App, then request a refund? Or is there somewhere else I can get the App install file, then later use my registration code to activate it?

Thank you,

Ray

PS. Should have mentioned that Windows allows Apps to be installed on the DATA (D:) HD whereas Affinity Photo wants to be installed in on the OS (C:) in Program Files.

Edited by RayFortMill
Add'l information

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Ray. :)

The Microsoft Store versions of the Affinity apps are sold by Microsoft, not Serif, so you can’t simply switch between the MS app and the desktop app. Since the MS app is tied to your MS account, it doesn’t use a product key.

If you purchased the desktop app(s) within the last two weeks you can apply for a refund.

P.S. I think you should be able to install the desktop apps in any location, but I’m not sure of the details.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

So, I guess you last statement is now my question. While I might guess the desktop could be installed in any location, I think it's a safe bet that most testing by the software engineers took place with it installed in its default location. So i'm always quite hesitant to install any software elsewhere.

Any experience out there with installing on a drive other than C:?

Ray

The Affinity applications will install wherever you want to put them on Windows.

Just change the install location when it asks where to install the program.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

On 12/24/2018 at 7:19 PM, RayFortMill said:

Any experience out there with installing on a drive other than C:?

Yes!!  All my Serif and Affinity apps, along with the great majority of my other programs, are installed on my dedicated Programs drive, D:\.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.