You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher is argumentative ! Keeps changing my workspace this christmas, I blame the Gringe

Here is my empty document that I keep saved as a basic template for Cards.  Created and assigned with AdobeRGB but every time I open, it pops up a message saying that it has reverted back to s'RGB.  I re-created the document anew, but still the same issue.

A5_PortraitCard.afpub

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

I presume you mean the Grinch!

BFD85165-942A-496C-B3F8-5DD1BBA7F948.jpeg.fde0ba0275376f54352fb8df1821c011.jpeg

Yeh, Prof.Gringe was his uncle.  I meant Grinch.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

Did you checked your preferences?

2018-12-24_150651.png.35461122edec8dee02437dd1f1c8b995.png

Hallo Wosven, AAhhh,   now that little option is extremely mis-leading to a photoshop user.  I know this option and it really means when you import an image and the image is in a different work space than the document, this is how I interpreted it.  Also what point is there in converting a document that is Empty and been assigned the adobeRGB space to then convert it?  It is in my chosen work space, so I am a bit confused here.  If I assign a new document with a profile, it should really stay in that profile when re-opening it surely?  This box should apply to importing only?

@Chris26

It's about opening and converting (or not) a document to your specific colour space... You know it's an empty APub document, but I don't think APub mind if it's full or empty, it's only following the settings, settings that can be usefull to convert a lot of files easily.

But if your preferences are set to Adobe RGB, it should at least convert to your profile, Adobe RGB!

And it's not an option for Photoshop users only, you've got the same in inDesign, the same way you've got options to convert or not images' profiles when exporting PDF.

Did you checked your APub preferences?

Given that Chris specifically created the document as Adobe RGB, then saved it, shouldn't it have had that profile when it was reopened?

And, if it had that profile, why would the assistant apply a different one?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

If the assistant is set to apply a specific profile when opening a document, it should do it.

Without looking at @Chris26 preferences and settings for new documents, it's difficult to know if it's a settings problem or a bug.

I think I misspoke when I said "assistant" as I was referring to the normal preference to warn when setting a profile for an unprofiled document. As far as I can see there is no Assistant in Publisher as there is in Designer and Photo.

Chris's .afpub file opens just fine for me, with no warnings of an unprofiled document and it remains in Adobe RGB.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Chris's .afpub file opens just fine for me, with no warnings of an unprofiled document and it remains in Adobe RGB.

It's depending of your settings. I suppose yours don't convert any profile in the files you're opening, same settings than mine.

Assistant/preferences is the same since it helps you doing actions easily. For example converting all your documents profiles when opening them, etc.

Walt and Wosven, Hallo,  I changed the Edit.Preferences.colour to adobeRGB, now when my doc opens there are obviously no changes, it stays in that profile.  I opened another doc which has been in s'RGB and that also, contrary to an expectation, did not change either, despite altering my preferences.  However, if my preference is set to s'RGB and I create a document with AdobeRGB, yes, then when I re-open it this document pops up with a warning that it has now changed my new document back to s'RGB.  Hopefully this establishes what is happening. 

However, I notice the setting "Convert Open Files to Working Space"  I have now de-selected that. Which is a problem really because if I import an s'RGB image into the AdobeRGB doc, well one can not increase a colour spectrum obviously, but hopefully being good quality images there should be no adverse effects in printing. 

You should distinguish different colour profile settings.

There's the ones for your document (as in APub documents), and you can choose to assign a specific profile to yourr APub document when opening the file, overriding the original one if it doesn't match (preferences > colour profiles > convert opened... to (and warm or not, etc.). This won't modifiy your pictures's profile, it's only about APub documents' colour profile.

Depending of the layout application (for exemple QXP), you can assign a different profile to yours pictures while working (selecting the picture and assigning another profile), and/or when exporting to PDF (or other file's formats) (usually all applications).

If you look at the Ressources manager, when selecting a picture you've got infos below the vignette on the left: its own  colour profile (Original size, original DPI, Placed size, ICC profile). The colour space info is about your document's one, and you can have a sRVB profile in a CMYK colour space.

I think that for now, if you want a different profile for your pictures, you need to do this in AD or AP (best way to convert and check the colours), before importing them. But they won't be converted to different profiles while placing them in APub. Only when exporting your APub document.

Hallo Wosven, I fully understand all this.  However what is new to me is that last bit: But they won't be converted to different profiles while placing them in APub. Only when exporting your APub document  so basically, in a nutshell, All Image colour profiles are un-affected and remain intact Regardless of the document colour profile.  This doc colour profile is only important when exporting. Then this makes it all very clear indeed.

This then leads me to another question, in the screen shot below (which is the PDF Export Menu).  If I have a document with images in 3 different colour profiles and I de-select >Use Document Resolution> does this mean that each image will print in its own resolution?  And secondly: If I select >RGB>  and NOT >As Document> does this mean that each image will then print according to its own Colour Profile? 

Capture.PNG.99cd12df250e42fe8bfae62d08cb79ec.PNG

That's interesting questions that we need to check.

For now, I was able to test AD and AP, and produce images or CMYK PDFs I could later import in ID.

I was able to test APub for creating documents (a lot), worflow (less, I miss some features to work more in it), and wasn't able to test exported PDFs from APub, since I can't work with an "exotic" app, my coworkers should be able to open and re-use our documents.
And I had no personal time left for those tests (making files at home, and checking PDFs with Pitstop and/or Acrobat reader Pro at work).

Until now, the PDF created with AD were as expected CMYK, OK with Pitstop (it's checking different parameters and validating or not the PDFs), and I could import them in ID and print the documents.

I expect APub to at least do as AD, and be able to convert file to the designated ICC profile on export.

About different resolutions and profiles, we need to check it, but usually the common error is to have PDFs with some images at too low resolution, perhaps this setting modify the resolution, or more usual, simply rasterize what need to be (transparency, shadows...) at the value set in those settings.

I won't have time to do those tests before late in january, but perhaps someone else will?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris26

The colour space of the file will be converted based on the settings used in the colour section of preferences. The convert open file to working colour space will convert any file that is opened regardless of if it had a profile associated with it or not. That is the function of this option. Unprofiled documents get converted to the working space colour regardless of this setting.

Publisher has an assistant, all affinity apps do, it just does not have the assistant manager.

For PDF if you select DPI instead of use document resolution, the PDF will export at the DPI you set instead of what is used , If you select is to use a a specific colour space the entire document with be converted and exported in that colour space instead of the one used in the document

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.