You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Is there an angle readout somewhere that indicates the angle at which a line has been created with the pen tool?

When drawing lines, boxes, etc by eye using the pen tool in Designer, when I end up with a line or edge of a box that's not exactly perpendicular or horizontal to the grid (eg: 90°), is there a way I can quickly correct it without having to drag a guide next to the line onto the layout, zoom in and eyeball it and guess that it's 90°? When creating an arbitrary line at an angle, there's nowhere I can find in the info that gives me the angle of that line or the ability to type in a different angle.

2 hours ago, Ballyshannon said:

When drawing lines, boxes, etc by eye using the pen tool in Designer, when I end up with a line or edge of a box that's not exactly perpendicular or horizontal to the grid (eg: 90°), is there a way I can quickly correct it without having to drag a guide next to the line onto the layout, zoom in and eyeball it and guess that it's 90°?

For nodes of vector shapes drawn with the Pen Tool, switch to the Node Tool & you can use the "Snap" options on the Context toolbar (separate from those of the Snapping Manager on the main toolbar) to snap-align individual nodes to the horizontal or vertical position of other nodes. You can also select two or more nodes with the Node Tool & rotate them around any of the 9 anchor points in the Transform panel by changing the R: filed in that panel.

For rectangles, pies, cogs, stars, etc. just change the R: value in the Transform panel, or use the Shift key & rotate on the canvas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 months later...

Hi, sharpart,

As Ballyshannon posted last year, there are only rather cumbersome methods that may not be sufficiently precise. One can make a protractor, and save it as an asset, and then position it over any set of points. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

14 minutes ago, gdenby said:

One can make a protractor

One can save oneself a considerable amount of protracted effort by using the result of someone else’s labours!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, sharpart said:

I want to find what angle a line is.

Affinity Designer is missing a function to do this.

Compare with Xara Designer which will tell you the angle and length of a line segment…

1472781366_XaraLengthAngle.png.12913c7ebcfab904ea3d8ab2652ff7e9.png

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I use an app PixelStick by Plum Amazing, https://plumamazing.com/product/pixelstick/ that quickly helps me measure any angle, size (in screen pixels), etc of anything showing on the screen.  It stays on top of everything, but loads and exits quickly.  It shows circles with the center, tangents, right angles, etc.  So I can match one leg to a line drawn then just match what it shows to be exactly 90 degrees.  It will also tell me the exact angle of that line.  The manual gives a better description of it's features.  https://plumamazing.com/pixelstick-manual/ .  It helps make up for this missing feature and much more. 

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

One can save oneself a considerable amount of protracted effort ...

I see what you did there. xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

44 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

I use an app PixelStick by Plum Amazing, https://plumamazing.com/product/pixelstick/

That looks like a nice app, but unfortunately it’s for Mac only. Curiously, the linked page correctly gave me the price in GBP but the ‘Latest’ date was quoted in US (MM/DD/YY) format.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

A protractor seems the easiest. For more accuracy I can always calculate the angle by finding the length of each side (opposite & adjacent) and find the inverse tangent (using www.wolframalpha.com/ since my Windows calculator doesn't seem to do inverse tangent functions even in Scientific mode). 

THE BEST SOLUTION WOULD BE HAVING THAT FEATURE ADDED TO AFFINITY DESIGNER. (Hint, hint)

20 minutes ago, sharpart said:

since my Windows calculator doesn't seem to do inverse tangent functions even in Scientific mode

You have to click Inv(erse) and then inverse tan becomes available.

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

That looks like a nice app, but unfortunately it’s for Mac only

You might like to try Meazure on PC. Not so pretty looking but lots of functions, including protractor.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I find it astonishing that there is not a direct way to measure the angle a line is drawn at. To me it should be a fundamental feature of any graphics app like e.g.Xara. I guess there are apps that have it too!

An extra box in the Transform tab showing the angle from say the horizontal position. It could be call a 'Protractor' box.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

+1 for a dedicated tool.

In the mean time another way to measure the angle of a line:
1: Drag a horizontal guide across the line.
2: Draw a straight line along the guide with the Pen tool.
3: Use the Move tool to reset the rotation point to where the two lines cross.
4: Rotate your new line to sit along the line you want measure the angle of.
5: The angle is shown in the transform box.

(Fairly accurate if you zoom in and use snapping.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thanks but none of these work-arounds should be necessary. It should be a basic feature. I've put in a request for it.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread after nearly three years, but I was looking for a solution to this and it does seem to be supported, at least now (version 1.10.5).

Using the Node tool, select both endpoints of the line you want to measure, and look in the Transform panel. The R (rotation) value is the angle of the line.

Well done room34!

I have just tried it and it works.

Would anyone know when this feature was included?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

2 hours ago, room34 said:

Using the Node tool, select both endpoints of the line you want to measure, and look in the Transform panel. The R (rotation) value is the angle of the line.

Thanks.

You an also use the Move Tool, and just select the line. But in both cases, it seems to work only for a straight line with exactly 2 nodes. If the line has a third node, no angle is shown.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, Aammppaa said:

Affinity Designer is missing a function to do this.

Compare with Xara Designer which will tell you the angle and length of a line segment…

1472781366_XaraLengthAngle.png.12913c7ebcfab904ea3d8ab2652ff7e9.png

Unfortunately, Xara Designer was out of date when we celebrated New Year's Eve in 2000.

The functionality that @Ballyshannon requested in 2018 before he left the forum here in 2019, exists today in two proper programs:

• Adobe Illustrator with Astute Pathscribe plugin (the expensive combi and option).
  • Vectorstyler out of the box (the cheaper option)

It's a functionality the impulsive pixel painter hardly misses, but if you're drawing fonts or curved designs where there needs to be harmony, symmetry and consistency across parts or all of the design, it's a magically simple tool.

As I said, it's in Vectorstyler, and as you can see, it's quite simple:

image.png.b9d447556f9af91467883e6a8e6f6ef9.png

I would appreciate it in Designer too.

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?