You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing in landscape

image.png.b0a288d6b9b08799629a386d8eb4d4cc.png

This landscape-mode document is intended to be bound (or stapled, etc.) along the short edge. When I print it double-sided directly from Publisher Beta, page 1 prints fine but page 2 (on the reverse side of the same sheet) prints upside down, as if the document were intended to be bound along the long edge.

I suspect I'm missing something very obvious …

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

I can not solve this but I would be certainly looking at a conflict between printer and affinity settings.  Just take cheap paper, type the word yes in big letters on each sheet and then experiment with the settings, this is how I solved my problems with setting both the printer and affinity.  Hope something works for you here.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

4 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

take cheap paper, type the word yes in big letters on each sheet and then experiment with the settings

If you set the fill of the text to white or ‘no fill’ and apply a thin black stroke, you’ll not only save on paper costs but ink or toner, too.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

49 minutes ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

If you set the fill of the text to white or ‘no fill’ and apply a thin black stroke, you’ll not only save on paper costs but ink or toner, too.

Are Bits of cheese or big bits of cheese?  Yes but with a black line you won't know if the printed paper came out upside down now will you?  Besides, the word YES in 16 font size will hardly break the cost?  Or is it that Bank?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

22 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

with a black line you won't know if the printed paper came out upside down now will you?

How so, Chris? What can you see with

EE73AF89-A038-4922-BB79-B640A1E07528.thumb.png.86e3dc6b77222046cd9e863a1f843542.png

that you can’t also see with

A8371A0D-358A-4944-8AE5-C13DC6DC3BE9.thumb.png.cbb3b3dc92759aefe760a633bdcede86.png

?? :/

Besides, the word YES in 16 font size will hardly break the cost?  Or is it that Bank?

No, in 16 pt type it will hardly break the bank, but when you wrote ‘big letters’ I envisioned something more like 216 pt!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

This is normally configured in the print driver.

2 hours ago, Chris26 said:

I would be certainly looking at a conflict between printer and affinity settings.

You were both right, of course!

Digging into the (Canon) printer's settings, I found Layout > Two-Sided > Short-Edge binding.

And that did the trick.

1 hour ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

Thank you for this reminder!   Ink cartridges these days do seem to come with about five smidgens of ink in them.

AGAIN: Thanks, everyone.

Now I'm off to ask another silly question, this time about text frames.

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

49 minutes ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

How so, Chris? What can you see with

EE73AF89-A038-4922-BB79-B640A1E07528.thumb.png.86e3dc6b77222046cd9e863a1f843542.png

that you can’t also see with

A8371A0D-358A-4944-8AE5-C13DC6DC3BE9.thumb.png.cbb3b3dc92759aefe760a633bdcede86.png

?? :/

No, in 16 pt type it will hardly break the bank, but when you wrote ‘big letters’ I envisioned something more like 216 pt!

Well that's true, but I do think the one with a white fill is slightly bigger, however a little bit of math equation and I worked out that mine would consume about 0.0005 picolitre of ink per square 0.1 mm, and yours would consume about 0.000004 Picolitre of ink per cubic 0.01 mm, further calculations, (this is really taxing my brain), based upon Prof. Gringe's quadratic law of christmosity (after factoring in the differential between the cubic and square results I obtained) results in a clear case that you are right by 0.0000025 picolitre of ink.  More wine please...:D

8 minutes ago, cubesquareredux said:

Hey, watch it. I resemble that remark.

— cubesquareredux

I spent 4 minutes staring at your message with a big question mark over my wine filled brain, then suddenly, without warning an electrical charge turned the question mark into a delightful 400 watt light bulb....