You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing a smooth curve into a series of straight lines?

I know I can draw a connected series of straight lines and then smooth the path to a curve.

But can I do the opposite?

I want to take a smooth curve and change it into a series of connected straight lines. For example a circle would become an n-sided polygon, for example. 

That's cool. 

Is there any automatic way I can control how frequently the nodes are placed on the curve? For example a circle has 4(?) but what if I want it to have 8 or 10? 

In the case of a circle of course I could use a star or shape tool. But what about a hand drawn curve?

I don't need to place the nodes exactly, just adjust their quantity. 

39 minutes ago, matt said:

Is there any automatic way I can control how frequently the nodes are placed on the curve?

If you’re controlling the frequency, how could it be automatic? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

46 minutes ago, matt said:

In the case of a circle of course I could use a star or shape tool. But what about a hand drawn curve?

Hand drawn curves made with the Pen Tool will have as many nodes as you create while drawing them. Ones made with the Vector Brush Tool or Pencil Tool create as many nodes as are needed to follow the path you draw. For those two tools, you can reduce the number created by using the Stabilizer options, but it will always depend on how 'wiggly' the path you draw is.

That is what makes them hand drawn. How could it be otherwise?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

That is what makes them hand drawn. How could it be otherwise?

Maybe with the setting for how "stable" the Stabelizer is?

My scenario requires that I am able to adjust that setting freely after drawing shape. 

I'll have a think about other ways. 

6 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Seems like we can embed youtube vids again!! :D

thumbup1.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, matt said:

Maybe with the setting for how "stable" the Stabelizer is?

The Length & Window values for the Rope & Window modes respectively control how smoothly the curve follows tool movement, but while that does control indirectly how frequently the nodes are placed, that is probably not quite the same as the kind of stability you mean, nor is there a way to 'roughen' the curve by adding nodes or setting their displacement like in Illustrator.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Astute Graphics plugins Rock!!!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

35 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Astute Graphics plugins Rock!!!

Considering that the VectorScribe plugin shown in the video costs almost as much as Affinity Designer, & only works with Illustrator CC and CS6, it bloody well should rock!

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, matt said:

Here's hoping for scripting or plugin support in Affinity. 

The developers have mentioned that scripting may be implemented in the future, but not in the version 1 lifecycle, so that is likely several years away & will require purchasing another license.

As I understand it (which could be wrong because involves some guesswork), the main reason for this is it would require a huge amount of work to refactor the code to support script objects, & to do so without seriously degrading performance/responsiveness. There also a possible issue of how to provide an SDK without revealing to their competitors more than they would like about what they consider to be proprietary trade secrets.

Affinity Photo