You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashed on Brush export, now it won"t close

I was exporting brushes from Designer on Win 7 and the program crashed. Now I can only close the program with the Task Manager. If I try to close from within the program, I receive the following message. "At least one file is currently being opened. Please wait for files to load before quitting the application"

This persists even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

• Staff
Can you please reset Designer back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching Designer. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. Designer will now open.

Be aware that resetting Designer back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting Designer, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Thank you for the reply. I just tried that, but it did not work.

ETA: OK, I fixed the problem. I deleted EVERY Affinity app and every folder labelled Affinity or Serif and rebooted. Evidently I got the right file in the purge as I even had to re-enter my product key. But Designer now closes without the error, so result.

Now I get to reinstall all the brushes I have bought and made. Joy.

Edited by lilbuddha
Fixed problem

Hello,

my problem with Designer is nearly same. I can't close the program and I can't figure out why. If I try to close Designer, a message appears with a hint to close a file which is still in progress. But no project or file is open. So it is very frustrating to read lilbudda's experiences.
It seems so I have to do the same steps, because it wasn't enough to delete Designer, clean up registry data, reboot and install again.  Hmpf.

3 hours ago, BalouM said:

It seems so I have to do the same steps, because it wasn't enough to delete Designer, clean up registry data, reboot and install again.  Hmpf.

Not that it helps much, but deleting & reinstalling the app is not enough because it does not reset or delete any app-specific user settings. Like with many other desktop apps, user settings are stored separately from the app, many on a per user basis (so each user account can have its own).

The problem is crashes or bugs in the app can corrupt one or more of those files, thus the need to reset some of them with no good way of knowing precisely which are at fault.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, BalouM said:

Hello,

my problem with Designer is nearly same. I can't close the program and I can't figure out why. If I try to close Designer, a message appears with a hint to close a file which is still in progress. But no project or file is open. So it is very frustrating to read lilbudda's experiences.

I did not touch the registry. The the solution, for me, was to delete the folders labelled Affinity and Serif that were left after the uninstall. ISTM, the corrupted file lived in one of them.

I my first reinstall attempts, all the settings remained the same and even the product key was remembered.