ThiloL

Designer 1.6.5: Startup time still terrible slow

Have you tried the 1.7 beta? Loading time has definitely improved.

You can speed things up by keeping only a few hundred fonts permanently installed and using a font manager to load others as and when you need them. Xiles NexusFont is completely free; High-Logic MainType, which is more flexible, is free for personal use if you have no more than 2500 fonts in your library.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.1 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.1 • Designer for iPad 1.9.1 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

Every software I've installed on my system loads in a acceptable amount of time. Only Affinity Photo cannot. It's so sad.

The problem is supposed to be me? Becaus I do not install a font manager? Oh no....

How many fonts do you have installed? Have you tried the 1.7 beta as I suggested a month ago?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.1 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.1 • Designer for iPad 1.9.1 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

18 hours ago, ThiloL said:

Every software I've installed on my system loads in a acceptable amount of time. Only Affinity Photo cannot. It's so sad.

The problem is supposed to be me? Becaus I do not install a font manager? Oh no....

If other software doesn't load all the fonts you have in memory then they are faster and doesn't matter how many fonts you have.

On me affinity and adobe software load almost instantly thanks to my SSD, but once I activate my fonts collection of 2K fonts all of them strangle to open.

So the question is still how many fonts you have in there?

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD:  Toshiba P300 1TB, WD Blue 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

I've installed 1100 fonts.

Photoshop CC 2015 starts in 20 seconds! Affinity Photo (even Beta 1.7) needs 2 minutes to startup.

Where's the problem now?

12 hours ago, ThiloL said:

Photoshop CC 2015 starts in 20 seconds! Affinity Photo (even Beta 1.7) needs 2 minutes to startup.

Where's the problem now?

this sure is weird because I have 2500 fonts and both affinities and adobes are taking their sweet time to open. If I disable and stay with the system fonts (less than 300) they open up way faster.

Are you sure you have affinity at the same disk with photoshop? Maybe photoshop is in an ssd?

Also if you use nexus font and break this big collection into smaller ones that you activate only when you need them you will notice an overall better system performance, just keep in mind to disable windows font cache because it slow down the font manager a lot.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD:  Toshiba P300 1TB, WD Blue 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

On 1/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, ThiloL said:

Where's the problem now?

It's taking ~2 minutes to startup because you have 1100 fonts installed. Obviously Photoshop is doing something different with regards to fonts.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:47 PM, ThiloL said:

Of course Photoshop and Affinity Photo is on the same disc.

hm maybe I had an older photoshop version when I test and now they changed something in the fonts management?

Well anyway there is always room for optimization I'm happy with the state of affinity programs atm but I wouldn't mind faster loading fonts.

Current Workstation: