KaldreaC

Document changes not saved

I am having the most frustrating time working on my most recent project. I am literally having to save my document after each adjustment because if I make multiple adjustments, as in even just 2 or 3,  Affinity won’t save my document. Then I have to shut down the app completely and start over. Not sure what’s going on. It’s not too large a file since I have lots of other large files and none of them have had a problem. 

Not sure what you mean by 'won't save my document'. Affinity has auto save (duration setting is in Settings default is every 5 mins),  The app also saves changes when you exit the file (back arrow top left of screen). All of these actions only save changes to the apps sandbox (you can't access them without reopening the app). If you delete the app, these file are gone forever. You can Save the .afdesign file by selecting the three bar on the project window view of your file, select Save and select a location. That file can be moved and opened by any AD. (I.e. not restricted to sandbox). You can also save a copy of your work using the Document menu Save a Copy, while working on the file.

Are you saying these options are unavailable?

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

This is what I mean (see attached pic). It stays like this indefinitely (I’ve waited up to 30 minutes). Finally I have to shut down the app because it won’t let me reopen the file and when the app starts up again, the changes I made are gone.

70EF340C-91E8-4C1E-9C6A-ACF2D0C04F06.jpeg

I’m also having saving issues with the iPad version of Affinity Designer. I’ve been working on a large canvas (2048x12288 pixels) for half an hour or so now and I’ve constantly gone to the menu and hit the Save button there (Document > Defaults > Save). I usually do this because I don’t trust Affinity’s autosave feature to work properly. It’s not that reliable to be honest, every now and then I lose parts of my work, which is why I try to save manually all the time, the old-school way.

But now Designer crashed. I reopened the app and the file I had been working on wasn’t there. No trace of it. It’s not on iCloud Drive either. Closing and reopening doesn’t help. Nice.

How am I supposed to save my work in Affinity Designer if the designated Save button doesn’t save anything and autosave keeps failing? Do I need to close my artwork, hit the save button in the gallery view and wait for the progress bar to finish to save my work? Not the best workflow, and I’m not really convinced that would work any better either.

Is this just really bad luck I’m having with the super unreliable save function or are others experiencing similar issues? Designer has been my number one work software on desktop for years, and now that it’s on iPad too I never thought I’d need to be looking for alternatives. But I’ve lost parts of my work too many times now because of saving not working. The issue described by KaldreaC above is also common to me. It’s super frustrating when it happens because you know there’s nothing you can do other than close the app and in the process delete the latest changes to the file.

Anyway, Merry Christmas all, I hope I don’t sound too bitter, I’m just frustrated since I don’t really have the time to start all over again with the file now. Luckily it wasn’t that important, so no major harm done. Maybe I’ll try again after the holidays, but on desktop this time, since at least there I can save my work properly :)

8 minutes ago, Tuhis said:

I’ve constantly gone to the menu and hit the Save button there (Document > Defaults > Save)

That option is for saving the document’s current settings as defaults. It has nothing to do with saving the contents of the document itself.

As @DM1 has indicated, you should go back to the home screen before exiting the app.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

@Tuhis that’s terrible! That first issue you mentioned hasn’t happened to me yet but I would have a heart attack lol. 

Hopefully we will get some feed back from Admin when they get back from holidays. 

Yeah that was the first time a file has completely disappeared for me. I sure hope that isn’t too common. The issue you’ve described happens much more frequently but at least I still have some version of the file when that happens.

Alfred, I know you can save by closing the file and hitting save from the gallery and that’s what I always do when I exit the app. But since Affinity Designer on iPad has the tendency to be quite unstable I’d really like to save when I’m in the document. Just like in this situation Designer crashed and there was nothing I could do. I don’t trust the autosave function for all the reasons brought up in this thread and it would be really nice to be able to manually save all the time when working on a file.

I have to admit it didn’t even cross my mind that the ”Save” button only saves some settings and not the file! I’ve been wondering why it is hidden so deep in the settings where in Affinity Photo the save button is pretty visible and on the top part of the menu. So apparently Designer has autosave where as Photo has a save button? Seems pretty odd in my opinion. But good to know that constantly hitting the save button does nothing useful on Designer :)

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Are you definitely using the latest version of the app - 1.6.11.85? This was an issue raised against 1.6.5.61 and later fixed in 1.6.7.68. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

13 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Are you definitely using the latest version of the app - 1.6.11.85?

I think that must be an internal build, Gabe. I’m currently on build 1.6.10.83 of APh, and TestFlight isn’t offering an update.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think that must be an internal build, Gabe. I’m currently on build 1.6.10.83 of APh, and TestFlight isn’t offering an update.

1.6.11.85 has been out for 2 weeks now :)

IMG_0F1302CDFC9A-1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

1.6.11.85 has been out for 2 weeks now :)

Thanks. I guess that means I have to make a point of visiting the App Store, instead of being able to rely on TestFlight to offer me the latest build! :(

Alfred online2long.gif

6 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

You should treat the Testflight builds just like any other beta. That's why we always recommend having the App Store, stable version. 

Of course. What I meant is that I thought TestFlight would offer me build 1.6.11, but it doesn’t.

Alfred online2long.gif

On 1/7/2019 at 5:38 AM, GabrielM said:

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Are you definitely using the latest version of the app - 1.6.11.85? This was an issue raised against 1.6.5.61 and later fixed in 1.6.7.68. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I am on iPad version 1.6.4.45

I haven’t seen another update. I update my apps daily. 

On 12/24/2018 at 11:33 PM, Tuhis said:

I’m also having saving issues with the iPad version of Affinity Designer. I’ve been working on a large canvas (2048x12288 pixels) for half an hour or so now and I’ve constantly gone to the menu and hit the Save button there (Document > Defaults > Save). I usually do this because I don’t trust Affinity’s autosave feature to work properly. It’s not that reliable to be honest, every now and then I lose parts of my work, which is why I try to save manually all the time, the old-school way.

But now Designer crashed. I reopened the app and the file I had been working on wasn’t there. No trace of it. It’s not on iCloud Drive either. Closing and reopening doesn’t help. Nice.

How am I supposed to save my work in Affinity Designer if the designated Save button doesn’t save anything and autosave keeps failing? Do I need to close my artwork, hit the save button in the gallery view and wait for the progress bar to finish to save my work? Not the best workflow, and I’m not really convinced that would work any better either.

Is this just really bad luck I’m having with the super unreliable save function or are others experiencing similar issues? Designer has been my number one work software on desktop for years, and now that it’s on iPad too I never thought I’d need to be looking for alternatives. But I’ve lost parts of my work too many times now because of saving not working. The issue described by KaldreaC above is also common to me. It’s super frustrating when it happens because you know there’s nothing you can do other than close the app and in the process delete the latest changes to the file.

Anyway, Merry Christmas all, I hope I don’t sound too bitter, I’m just frustrated since I don’t really have the time to start all over again with the file now. Luckily it wasn’t that important, so no major harm done. Maybe I’ll try again after the holidays, but on desktop this time, since at least there I can save my work properly :)

The safest workflow is to use the Document menu (next to the top left arrow). In Document menu Select Save a Copy. An .afdesign file is created and you can save it anywhere (cloud or iPad). Once you have saved a copy, you will have access to a Save menu in the Documents menu. To work on the file use Open from Cloud, navigate to the afdesign file and select it. Make your edits and use Documents menu to Save (or top left arrow, or 3 bar menu in project screen). If something crashes you will still be able to access the .afdesign file with your most recent changes.

If you don't Save the file, instead relying on Affinity to save it (and your edits) in sandbox, there is a good chance you will lose your work should affinity have a major crash. Saving outside of sandbox just makes good sense.

33AA0C6D-ED45-40E7-8A62-A723B29EE173.jpeg

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

You should be able to update to the latest version from the App Store. If you cannot see the latest version there, I suggest you contact Apple and see why. 

Alternatively, you can uninstall and then reinstall it. That should give you the latest version. Just beware that any custom brushes / assets will be deleted. Check this tutorial to see how to save them. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/ipad/video/288141322

Also, any unsaved projects from the home screen will be deleted, so make sure you save any projects you need. 

My bad. I thought we were talking about Photo and not Designer. Back to the topic, now that we're on the latest version. Instead of closing the document and let the autosave do it's job, can you please do Document > Save a Copy? Does that work?  

Thanks DM1, I got the save button visible! So from now on when I work on a file I first have to save a copy of it, then navigate to the copy and open that in Designer. Only then I will get a button that I can use to save my progress while working. I personally don't think exiting the canvas and going to the three dot menu in the gallery is a solution for saving, it's a cumbersome workaround at best :D But now I know how to get a save button in Designer, which is awesome!

I agree that constantly saving outside the Affinity sandbox is a good practice since the autosave is sooo unreliable. You don't even need to crash the software since you can easily lose your progress when Affinity closes in the background, or sometimes even when exiting a canvas back to the gallery. Even when autosave is on and set to frequent intervals. I might be biased since I use Procreate for most of my work and have lost data maybe once in the past 6 or 7 years. It's of course a completely different software so direct comparing is dumb, but still, they have an autosave feature that really works by saving all the time. And that's very nice.

Could the save button be visible there from the start? My files by default go to iCloud anyway, so I find it pretty odd that I first need to copy a file, then save it too to iCloud, then open that in Affinity again and only then I will have a dedicated save button that works. And then I have two identical files in the app and have to delete the one without saving capabilities. Not the smoothest workflow don't you think? Having the button there by default would spare the users from lots of unnecessary work. It's there in Affinity Photo, so to me it would be logical to have it in Designer too.

I haven't been browsing these forums much so apologies if this is something that has been discussed in the past. But as someone who uses Affinity Designer for daily work I'd very much prefer to have a reliable way to save my files that doesn't take too much time and workarounds :)