You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I have a little question, I'm used to using Photoshop the "z" shortcut for zoom, I keep pressed the shortcut while I move the cursor left o right to zoom in or out, and when release the key it returns to my previous tool. It's very useful with a drawing tablet.

But in Affinity Designer, once I release the z key, it does not return to my previous tool, I have to press again the z to do that.

Is there any way to change this behavior? I prefer to use the "z" shortcut like pan tool (space key), like in Photoshop, Im working fast in this way.

Thanks

In the Affinity apps, press and release the Z key to select the Zoom Tool; i.e. don’t hold it down. As you’ve observed, pressing it again returns you to the previous tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, CarlosMtnez said:

Hello, I have a little question, I'm used to using Photoshop the "z" shortcut for zoom, I keep pressed the shortcut while I move the cursor left o right to zoom in or out, and when release the key it returns to my previous tool. It's very useful with a drawing tablet.

But in Affinity Designer, once I release the z key, it does not return to my previous tool, I have to press again the z to do that.

Is there any way to change this behavior? I prefer to use the "z" shortcut like pan tool (space key), like in Photoshop, Im working fast in this way.

Thanks

I prefer to press the spacebar (hold it down) then press Alt. You can then drag a marquee to zoom to. You must press the spacebar first.

Spacebar + Alt + click zooms out

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

11 hours ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

In the Affinity apps, press and release the Z key to select the Zoom Tool; i.e. don’t hold it down. As you’ve observed, pressing it again returns you to the previous tool.

I know, but I prefer to hold it, because Im used to, like in Photoshop or like when using the Hand tool. 

I think, both behaviors are compatible each other. In photoshop if you press one time Z you get the zoom tool, but if you keep pressed the z, you have the zoom tool while you hold down, when you release, you go back to your previous tool.

Exactly happens with hand tool.

7 minutes ago, toltec said:

I prefer to press the spacebar (hold it down) then press Alt. You can then drag a marquee to zoom to. You must press the spacebar first.

Spacebar + Alt + click zooms out

Nice trick, I will try it.

When  Im using the mouse I have no problem, because Im using third button to hand tool, and also third button + scroll to zooming.

But when I'm with the wacom tablet, I dont like the pen buttons, so, im using Z and Space shortcuts to pan and zoom, and Im using a lot that shortcuts.

Its a little annoying not having the same behavior like in photoshop for the Z shortcut.

Thanks for your replies.