You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Workbook format

I have had the Affinity Photo workbook for sometime now and find it to be a quality book in information and in workmanship.  I find it frustrating, however, in using it along side Affinity, as it being hardbound makes it awkward to keep open.  I read online recently where someone suggested taking it to Staples and having it spiral bound.  Well, I fell for it and took it to a Staples and they pretty much laughed at me while saying it couldn't be done due to it being hardbound.  Are there any businesses that can spiral bind this book?  Given that this is a "workbook," wouldn't it make more sense to publish this book as a spiral bound book to enhance its usability?  Any chance that it may be offered as a spiral bound someday?

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Jim Cassidy said:

Maybe you can publish a paperback version and we users can take it somewhere (Staples?) to get it spiral bound. This isn’t intended as a coffee table book, which is the look it has being hard bound. 

I remember being displeased that the workbook did not stay open as soon as I took my hands off it. – A workaround would be to remove the hard cover and replace it by a thin card board cover, glued at the back + rest of the two endpapers after separating the inner book (body) from the hard cover. You can also divide one thick book into several thinner books.

1110442493_workbookspinecut.jpg.a23e994b601e94a6170fe323bf7a7974.jpg

For Serif workbooks possibly removing the hard cover might not be sufficient to prevent the workbook from falling shut on its own. It is just well glued.

So, you alternatively can get it spiral bound by a book-binder service (some copy shops do this, too). They will cut the back (~2-3 mm) to remove the glue + punch holes as needed according the spiral. Note the total page number of  the workbook would need quite large spiral diameter, so for convenient handling it is useful to let spiral bind in 2-3 separate books, each with a thinner back.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...