You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo and Photoshop differences in detail

I never used Affinity Photo and I'm quite used to Photoshop but not in skilled level. Mastering Photoshop is my main objective but paying $120 annually is somewhat difficult at this point. It seems Affinity Photo is very similar to Photoshop. Btw, I like Affinity expanding to other kinds of software that my community, photography, start talking about the expectation of Affinity itself. Because in these days, Adobe is too greedy and lazy to develop better software.

What I would like to know is about the difference between Affinity Photo and Photoshop in detail or features? Such as missing features from Affinity Photo that Photoshop has or reverse. I see that Affinity does not support ProRGB. Anything else?

Getting used to Affinity Photo is very simple, even without any learning costs (if you are familiar with Photoshop). But APh is still missing some relatively important features. If you can bear it, it might be a good choice. If not, APh is clearly not the current choice, it still needs to be honed.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Hello Mylife4Aiur,
welcome to this forum.
I would recommend you to download the trial version of AP and Ad, to give yourself an impression.
Certainly there is still room for improvement in AP and AD and some things work differently as  in Photoshop.
But if you familiarize yourself with AP achieves equally good results as in PS.

Have fun while testing.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

25 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

I would recommend you to download the trial version of AP and Ad, to give yourself an impression.

The ten-day trial clock runs continuously from the first time you launch the app, so I recommend that you use only one of the two trial versions in the first instance. Any files saved from either app can be opened and edited in the other one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Mylife4Aiur said:

difference between Affinity Photo and Photoshop

For someone, it can be a great limitation that APhoto does not offer the "full" functionality of plugins. A lot of things work, but 100 percent compatibility is not yet.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

44 minutes ago, Mylife4Aiur said:

I dont have that option

Well ICC/ICM profiles are usually operating system wide installed (like fonts too) and thus it also depends on what additional icc profiles you have installed on your system. Romm RGB and ProPhoto RGB are pretty similar wide gamut profiles, if not to say the same child with just another calling name. - However you can find ProPhoto RGB downloads all over the net if you do a Google search after those...

• RGB-Profile
    Download «rgb_profiles.zip» (contains among common others "ProPhoto.icm")

• ICM Profiles (The profiles are in a single ZIP file, ICCProfiles.zip)

• ... and so on ...

See also on Wikipedia: The ProPhoto RGB color space, also known as ROMM RGB (Reference Output Medium Metric)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

44 minutes ago, Mylife4Aiur said:

I dont have that option

Another name for ProPhoto RGB is ROMM RGB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProPhoto_RGB_color_space

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7