You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t get rid of these holes!)

Hello there and i’m sorry if this type of question has already been raised but I couldn’t find it here. So the problem is: i’m making a logo including letters, “O” and “D” are two different curves and it’s not a text. So, i need to unite/combine them so there’s only one curve. I select both of them and click “add” and that’s what happens839644DC-7F49-4882-93FB-9C68CF2E5181.thumb.png.cb2a1213d20e4c4733e2bea6460fa67d.png76176962-A491-460C-A995-84FB3513C4CB.thumb.png.af701ff33a73689cf499471a85cafdb0.pngIs there a way to get rid of this holes? I guess, this happens beause of this:

4E801B7B-59B1-44D8-B7E2-3F51546F9B6B.thumb.jpeg.b048952ea4159fb2cdf8e9e6367b6caa.jpeg

But if i put nodes like this it will be difficult to corret the object. 

Once again, sorry if i’m saying some stupid things, but i’m just learning)

Thank you!

Try selecting both then go to Document menu and tap 'Combine'. (Not Add).

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Try changing the fill mode from ‘Alternate’ to ‘Winding’. You’ll find the option on the Edit (‘...’) menu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Try selecting the two letter layers and then use 'merge visible'. This will create a new layer with the combined letters. Then hide or delete original two layers. This worked for me but does result in a pixel layer, not curves.

Edit. How did you make the original ? Pencil tool Pen tool or brush?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

36 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Try selecting the two letter layers and then use 'merge visible'. This will create a new layer with the combined letters. Then hide or delete original two layers. This worked for me but does result in a pixel layer, not curves.

Yeah, it worked, but it’s not vector anymore) thank you anyway!

I've run into this a few times before. If you zoom into one of the empty areas, and switch to the node tool, you will find that what appears to be a single node at each corner is actually 2 nodes on top of each other. See the following, where I've moved them slightly.

9835639_NodesMoved.thumb.jpg.81e5a54709c765a6fa9f9569b9858289.jpg

The add routine, and if I'm recalling correctly, the join curves routine, creates a continuous periphery from the base shapes. The work around I use is to add additional nodes, and pull them across the open space. 

AddNodesReposition.thumb.jpg.51246b0e599975ec5bb39e03bc0464fe.jpg

Doesn't work well if there is a stroke for the form. Alternatively, on can draw another shape over the open space, and add that in. Also kludgy, but allows a stroke around the periphery when the patch is added.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

10 hours ago, gdenby said:

I've run into this a few times before. If you zoom into one of the empty areas, and switch to the node tool, you will find that what appears to be a single node at each corner is actually 2 nodes on top of each other. See the following, where I've moved them slightly.

9835639_NodesMoved.thumb.jpg.81e5a54709c765a6fa9f9569b9858289.jpg

The add routine, and if I'm recalling correctly, the join curves routine, creates a continuous periphery from the base shapes. The work around I use is to add additional nodes, and pull them across the open space. 

AddNodesReposition.thumb.jpg.51246b0e599975ec5bb39e03bc0464fe.jpg

Doesn't work well if there is a stroke for the form. Alternatively, on can draw another shape over the open space, and add that in. Also kludgy, but allows a stroke around the periphery when the patch is added.

OMG, there really are two nodes, i’ve never noticed it. Thank you so much, i think the best way for me is to put a “patch”, yeah it’s a bit kludgy but it worked! Thanks again))