You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

At the moment if I want to design business cards and Christmas cards and such like I have to revert to PP.

Is there an intent to provide AP with similar templates to PP.

PP makes designing folded publication very easy. Similarly with business cards, design one and PP populates a complete page with the design.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

And if it comes I hope they bundle it with this:

But my guess is that it won't due to the professional target audience.

With luck some prople in the forum share their templates as many icon packs were shared before.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 8:25 AM, jobeyb said:

At the moment if I want to design business cards and Christmas cards and such like I have to revert to PP.

Is there an intent to provide AP with similar templates to PP.

PP makes designing folded publication very easy. Similarly with business cards, design one and PP populates a complete page with the design.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

I agree with the need for templates. Professional target audience or not, templates help new users with ice breaking thoughts and plans and help stimulate creativity. Plus they are a major help to new users as they can display the power of an app by illustration.

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2018 at 4:03 AM, Stephen S said:

I agree with the need for templates. Professional target audience or not, templates help new users with ice breaking thoughts and plans and help stimulate creativity. Plus they are a major help to new users as they can display the power of an app by illustration.

I would like to be able to have templates for the consistency that I would need across documents.  We used chapter templates for the books that contained all the text styles and page layouts that we needed for our work.  We had templates for the main chapters, plus, templates for Index, Master Table of Contents, Title pages, and Legal page (where the copyright info and legal text was spelled out), Having the ability to create a template that can be used to start a document is a critical feature for professional technical writers.  And yes, I know that I can create a blank document to be used as a template, but the problem with that is eventually someone is going to save some changes over the "template" file.  The value of having the ability to create a new document using a template is that the template document is unnamed and must be saved and named after making changes.   Also, I'm not expecting Affinity to supply that kind of template with the release of the application. I agree with you that having some templates for various kinds of documents really does help people who are just starting out with the application.

I'd agree that templates would be very useful, although I'm more interested in being able to create my own, rather than having lots of pre-designed ones being built in. Having said that, templates for Avery labels would be very handy.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 minutes ago, CarlM said:

InDesign comes with Free Artist made Templates and given that it is intended for professionals I can't see any reason why there shouldn't be some for Affinity Publisher. At the very least some blank templates for common document types would be useful.

The last version of ID that came with templates was CS4, I believe. 

There is/was a license fee for them. Same with PagePlus, I believe Serif paid for licensing the templates that shipped with it.

9 minutes ago, CarlM said:

You're quite right, my bad. Adobe decided to start charging from CS5 onwards and I think they're now part of the Creative Cloud suite as Adobe Stock.

Yes, Adobe added some in the recent past. I assume they are still licensed--i.e., they pay for them to be included--unless, of course, they are designed by Adobe.

I still have my CS4 templates. Nothing special to write home about, really. Many of the templates that came with PagePlus (and available for purchase separately), were of better quality, I think.

But, Affinity products are of a far lesser price than Adobe InDesign whether as a single app (about 2.5 months worth of rental) or as the everything option (one month of rental). Licensing templates or fonts would erode Serif's profits significantly.

I think that once opening IDML comes along, it opens all the stock sites for both paid-for and free templates, including the free templates that come along each week in various site's emails.