You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing image in an Picture Frame

I'm not shure If this is the right place or if this was posted before...

I usually use the "Picture Frame Rectangle Tool" to place images because I allways need image sections.

In the previous betas (before 206) I could double-click on the image frame to get to the image layer and then use the resizing spots to focus and place the image in the frame. Now I have to choose the pointer from the little toolbar to chose the image. Was it intent to disable the double-click? I would be happy, if the double--click would come back. :-)

Double clicking here enables me to move the photo within the frame. It brings up the widget but I don't have to use it to move the image within the frame. I do have to use the widget to resize the image and I think it has always been like that.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the new behaviour of the picture frame with the zoom slider and I was really confused. The whole workflow is clunky and and does not make much sense:

• zooming just changes the size and *almost always* needs a second action of adjusting the photo in the frame, so it sits properly. 

• there seems to be no shortcut to switch to the tool which changes image size or position in the frame. But it seems to be a weird and unpredictable combination of double-click and long-click (which is a completely new gesture, which comes from touch and does not really make sense on a trackpad/mouse. )

• there are way more steps required to achieve the layout I want; some of them fail and have to be repeated, because the click-gestures are not clear. 

• lots of mouse movement because of the lack of shortcuts

I think the new control set is not handy and also very un-affinity-like. Most of your software has a very cool and easy way of controlling things. Please don't stop here. The smart placement found in the posts above seems the right way to go to me. In combination of the known controls of ADesigner or InDesign. 

Thanks for considering. Keep on rocking. 

best 

Manu

@foddomanoo I agree.

I used Publisher to create a 86 page photo book and placed over 200 photos. I somehow learned how to use this functionality, but it still feels not good.

The system used in PagePlus X9 has a way better usability. I know people so not like to hear that, but this is how I feel.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I just tried adding a picture frame to a blank APub page in Beta 206. First, I couldn't see the frame being drawn, so I had no idea of where it was on the page and its size while creating it. Then, once it was drawn, I could find no way of changing the size of the frame by dragging its handles. The only thing that worked was the Transform panel. It was no different when I dropped an image into the frame, and I found I could not move or zoom the image in the frame either--even with the image selected. As I recall, this used to work fine in previous beta versions. I did this with both rectangular and oval frames with the same results.

1 minute ago, ToOldForThis said:

I just tried adding a picture frame to a blank APub page in Beta 206. First, I couldn't see the frame being drawn, so I had no idea of where it was on the page and its size while creating it. Then, once it was drawn, I could find no way of changing the size of the frame by dragging its handles. The only thing that worked was the Transform panel. It was no different when I dropped an image into the frame, and I found I could not move or zoom the image in the frame either--even with the image selected. As I recall, this used to work fine in previous beta versions. I did this with both rectangular and oval frames with the same results.

.206 is working fine for me. The Picture Frame is visible while being drawn, and once drawn either the Picture Frame Tool or the Move Tool can grab a node to resize it.

To zoom the image in the frame, or move it, I double click on the image with the Move Tool, and the control for doing that appears: image.png.97b03f74af4b47db3e6b884cfa8bbe2c.png
The slider zooms, and clicking on the arrow allows me to drag the image around. The Status Bar gives context hints when I hover over one of the icons.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here is something I just noticed. I had a document open in APub when I tried out the font issue in another post. I also opened LibreOffice and PagePlus X9 with APub still open. It was after that the picture frames were not working. I closed and opened APub, and now the picture frames seem to work just fine. At first I thought it was my Huion pen tablet that was causing the problem, but the mouse was doing it too. It's only after a close and re-open that picture frames started working again. Weird!

@ToOldForThis

As @walt.farrell pointed out the Picture Frame is not broken.

I think it has just bad usuability. This two-move-tool issue is very confusing. But that is already with the devs, so let's see how they will improve it.

The problem that the frame borders are not visible during moving of the Image inside the frame is indeed annoying. This was also mentioned before, but I'm not sure if Serif will look into that, too. I hope so. If it's still there with the next  version I'm going to pull up the topic.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I opened this topic because I think that I can remember that in a former version I could double-click an image placing frame so that the frame of the embedded picture appears. Now I could resize or move the picture in the frame with its own "frame with nods".

Now I need to use the Move Tool to switch to resize or to move the picture .... now it’s one more step each. That's not necessary. I think it would be best, having one frame for the placing-frame and one for the picture itself. And switching between these two just by double-clicking. -as in InDesign (by the way)-

16 minutes ago, Roland Dicke said:

Now I need to use the Move Tool to switch to resize or to move the picture .... now it’s one more step each. That's not necessary.

Look into the thread I linked above. Exactly this problem is already with the devs. @MEB gave a statement regarding this. You will find it.

14 minutes ago, Roland Dicke said:

I can't see @MEBs statement there...    ?!?

Here you go:

• 1 year later...

I am very confused by this - how can you resize an image without changing the outside frame -- double-clicking doesn't bring up any widget for me, and long-pressing the RMB doesn't seem to do anything other than bring up the Transform box?  I've seen people mention the Move option, but this seems to move the whole frame, not the image itself. I want to be able to adjust the image while maintaining the frame, but it just doesn't want to play ball. I have even tried using Designer or Photo while in Publisher, and it won't let me change it the way I'd like to. Help?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.