LevelB

Tone mapping appears to introduce noise in HDR Merge

Noticed that I was getting very noisy results with HDR Merge/Tone Map/Noise Reduction.  This was greatly improved by doing the HDR Merge with Noise Reduction and Tone Mapping turned off.  Noise Reduction then performed as expected.  However, the noise returned when I performed Tone Mapping.  I can post the photos if that helps (they are low-light and pretty noisy to begin with).

Thanks,

LevelB

Did some more checking - it appears that something else may be happening.  HDR Merge/Tone Map works as expected - unless Noise Reduction is selected.  The default 40% noise reduction does not seem to work properly, and trying to then use the live denoise filter gives poor results.

Maybe this is an edge condition - these are pretty noisy pics, shot as I was checking out a new filter.

Hoping you have a great holiday season!

Street_5_-_1_-_5.ARW

Street_5_-_1_-_1.ARW

Street_5_-_1_-_2.ARW

Street_5_-_1_-_3.ARW

Street_5_-_1_-_4.ARW

If you load those images with noise reduction and load them without noise reduction, you can definitely see a big difference. However they are pretty noisy to begin with.

188485315_Screenshot2019-01-0208_36_24.thumb.png.54ce481e053fa04d53a7227e7052ec25.png

Left is without noise reduction. Right is with noise reduction.